Trusted Contributor

Re: Injured friend annot stand or walk - Need tips during healing process

Hire a good attorney who is an expert at auto-related injuries!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Part of the job of the rehab facility is to get the patient to a functional level before release, work with her to develop adaptive skills that will enable her to get along at home after release, and to determine and help order any equipment and/or services that she will need. The physical and occupational therapists at the facility should be evaluating her functional level and needs, and I am sure there is also a social worker at the facility who can help to determine what services her insurance will pay for and if need be what services may be available from other sources. When I went through knee replacement surgery, they determined exactly what type of equipment I would need at home and ordered the appropriate items for me, billed to my insurance company. If she doesn't have good health insurance and can't pay for needed equipment, there are other sources through government or charity programs.

If your friend has questions or concerns, she should talk with the social worker and therapists.

Super Contributor

My DS was in a similar situation years ago, and I lived in another state and could not be there for her. She had no support and was almost totally on her own. I called a local (to her) medical supply and asked them to help me select things that would be helpful to her since I had no idea what to do, and they shipped them to her location.

Like recommended here (and I only repeat to emphasize the usefulness) they talked me into buying her the long-arm picker-upper and that sock tool. She was SO thankful, especially for the sock thingie. She used it to pull on her pants and for other things I don't remember, but she never thanked me SO MUCH for a gift as she did that sock tool.

I think the little bits of independence one can achieve from tools like this mean a lot. Kudos to you for your helping attitude, and I hope she heals speedily! - Bird

Honored Contributor

On 11/18/2014 happy housewife said:

Clearly, if she actually can't stand or walk - and she is not malingering - then she needs to get an attorney because they are NOT within their rights to send her home when she is that severely debilitated.

Esteemed Contributor

Yahooey,

Have wanted to post for several days, but I had a heck of a time trying to log on and finally had to call Customer Service. They were kind enough to fix the problem, so here I am to share some advice.

My background is nursing, though most of it has been spent in healthcare administration and lastly as Head of S-u-r-g-i-c-a-l- Training at a large hospital/medical center. In the 80s, I administered a rehab clinic. Most of our patients were long-term post-surgery back patients. Many were workers' comp and some were accidents of one kind or another.

Based on that experience and a personal experience we had with an accident which occurred on our property, I wouldn't blink another eye until I spoke with a "Personal Injury" attorney of note. This is based solely on your narrative.

Your friend needs to know that soft tissue and spinal injuries can become chronic pain issues, perhaps requiring surgery. The responsible party and his/her insurance for that accident is the party who should be shouldering the financial burden. Once your friend engages a good personal injury attorney, there should be an entirely different attitude in "care," "understanding," evaluations," and "physicians of note to provide care."

I pray the best outcome possible for your dear friend.

God Bless - Rebecca

Respected Contributor

OP, if you or your friend do not know a Personal Injury Attorney, call your local bar assn. and ask for at least three names of PI attorneys and choose one whom you can talk to on the phone and then a meeting at his office. She can then decide to hire that particular attorney or not.

Respected Contributor

She has nothing broken...has been in a rehab place for two weeks..and has soft tissue injury only and cannot move or walk?

What is the dx? I find this so very odd??

I agree with HH if she isn't malingering then what is the deal her? What is her pain from..why can't she walk etc?????

Soft tissue is muscle tendon ligiments etc..and she can't walk?

Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 CouponQueen said:

She has nothing broken...has been in a rehab place for two weeks..and has soft tissue injury only and cannot move or walk?

I agree with HH if she isn't malingering then what is the deal her? What is her pain from..why can't she walk etc?????

My point was simply how on earth can someone who actually not stand or walk function at home? Even in a wheelchair you have to be able to stand up to go from toilet to chair and bed to chair , shower seat to chair etc.

I had ankle reconstruction and was non weight bearing for 5 months while it healed so I was in a wheelchair - I had to stand and pivot on my other leg many times a day in and out of that chair just to get by, plus to get in to the bathroom the chair did not fit so I had to get up with the walker and hop in to the toilet and shower chair.

I suspect the OP greatly exaggerated the injury for drama.

Honored Contributor

On 11/20/2014 happy housewife said:
On 11/20/2014 CouponQueen said:

My point was simply how on earth can someone who actually not stand or walk function at home? Even in a wheelchair you have to be able to stand up to go from toilet to chair and bed to chair , shower seat to chair etc.

I had ankle reconstruction and was non weight bearing for 5 months while it healed so I was in a wheelchair - I had to stand and pivot on my other leg many times a day in and out of that chair just to get by, plus to get in to the bathroom the chair did not fit so I had to get up with the walker and hop in to the toilet and shower chair.

I suspect the OP greatly exaggerated the injury for drama.

You have been on this thread responding very negatively several times. I have not responded because that's how you seem to roll. When you call me out and say I exaggerated, that is plain rude. Lets just say I outright lied and you don't have to post anything.

Honored Contributor

She has a cousin that is helping on the lawyer front. I will pass along the info regarding chronic pain. I'm sure her doctors are discussing scenarios with her.

When I initially posted, she was in the hospital for 1 week (no PT was done) and transferred to the center and began PT after an initial evaluation. Tomorrow Friday, she would have been at the center one week.When I saw her last Saturday, she needed help to transfer from the bed to the wheelchair. She needed to lean or hold onto something in doing so. Although she was NOT lifted physically, I do not call that standing or walking. It was lean, pivot and holding on so she doesn't plop down.

Since I'm not well versed in the jargon in these types of situations, perhaps that is considered standing and walking. In my mind, a pivot is not standing and taking a step into a wheelchair is not walking.

As stated yesterday morning, she went to a rollator. So she is taking steps and improving. Thank you for sending good thoughts