Esteemed Contributor

Re: Injured friend annot stand or walk - Need tips during healing process

Your p t and social workers should be able to get you the things you need to make sure it is covered by insurance. They can actually order and do all that work for your friend.
Honored Contributor

Yes, the rehab facility will go over what the person needs and they won't send them home to an empty house and no one to help care for them.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Valued Contributor

Allh the bath suggestions Lavender made, plus one more. Called the "Bottom Buddy", it will be invaluable. Sells for around $25 online. Send her one along with moisture wipes. Not as pretty as flowers, but a whole lot more appreciated!

Esteemed Contributor

I keep thinking of things lol. Tell your friend to keep up her spirits.. She may find she recovers faster at home. That is what happened to me. Because my days became more normal. Plus being in your everyday environment will speed up here recovery.
Honored Contributor

Just my opinion: no throw rugs that slip, slide and can trip. On her w-chair make sure she locks the brake for getting up and down for now. Will she have a walker, someone to assist her for bathing? someone to do laundry and meals for her? She needs a home health aide I'd guess since her daughter is probably in school yet. Who shops for her? Etc. that sort of stuff. Who takes her to the doctor, or will she have a visiting doctor coming to the house?

This is the majority of the questions to think about, home health aide! They are wonderful helpers!! Get on the phone and check it all out for her and she'll be paying so check on that too. Maybe a few hours each day or here and there.

Get her one of the wrist or on the neck buttons in case of a fall so she can push it and an ambulance can come. See if you can get a contract for an ambulance. It will was invaluable for us!! About $35. a yr. You can't beat that!!!

Honored Contributor

How can someone be discharged to their home if they can't stand or walk? Seriously! She needs to stay at the rehab until she can at the very least do basic self care - get herself food and be able to go to the bathroom, at a minimum.As for paying for it - that is her car insurance's problem. They are on the hook for this as it is the result of a car accident.What doctor would discharge a patient home who can't stand or walk??? How does she expect to go to the bathroom???

Esteemed Contributor

On 11/18/2014 happy housewife said:

How can someone be discharged to their home if they can't stand or walk? Seriously! She needs to stay at the rehab until she can at the very least do basic self care - get herself food and be able to go to the bathroom, at a minimum.As for paying for it - that is her car insurance's problem. They are on the hook for this as it is the result of a car accident.What doctor would discharge a patient home who can't stand or walk??? How does she expect to go to the bathroom???

Actually they can. I was basically kicked out of the hospital because insurance said I could rehab at home. I was moving into my parents house and had nothing. We had to get a bed. My parents live in a two story and they hadn't even converted the room downstairs or put a shower in. We have a step that goes to the family room and had no ramp yet. I was supposed to go to a rehab facility but insurance said I could do that at home. Basically I had 24 hours to get what I needed. Our house is done now thank goodness but the first two months were difficult. In the end they did us a favor because I recovered much faster at home. P t came twice a week.
Esteemed Contributor

There are wonderful aids at a medical supply store. A sock aid should help her get her socks on. A reacher or cane to help pull up her clothes and get them on. A reacher can also help if she drops something. A bag of some kind for a walker. It is scary when your in this situation. I was hospitalized for three months. I just wanted to go home. Then I realized I needed to go to a rehab center until the house was done and I had come to terms with that. Then they just kicked me out. My emotions were all over the place. The great thing is my mom doesn't work so she helped me 24/7. The good thing is she has a spouse and hopefully when her daughter doesn't feel sore anymore she can also help.
Super Contributor

Hi Yahooey,

I'm sorry to hear about your friend and her daughter. It sounds like your friend could use the most help in the bathroom since she has her husband (and her daughter to some extent) to help her with meals and dressing. Just to elaborate on what lavenderjunkie suggested, they sell shower benches at places like Home Depot that sit half in and half out of the shower or tub. It's a transfer bench, so you sit down outside the tub, then swing your legs over and you're seated inside the tub. If it's a level walk-in shower, then she would just need a shower chair. Also a hand-held shower attachment would be very useful. Perhaps they have people from Home Depot who could install grab bars, not only one in the shower (36" long is recommended), but a shorter grab bar (12" or so) on the wall next to the toilet. Insurance should cover a lot of those costs. If there's a Visiting Nurse Service in her area, they may be able to help out. HTH. Wishing your friend a speedy recovery!

Esteemed Contributor

Your right I could of stayed but insurance was not going to pay for it.