Respected Contributor

How many do you take? I just bought at Amazon

@lolakimono wrote:

@godi

It is the root from the plant.  You can get it as pills or liquids.  I have only taken the pills.  Basically, if you have pulled a marshmallow apart you know that the inside is very sticky and binding.  Those properties keep the big D at bay.

This is what I have taken.

Ginger root also works, but the properties are different.  Ginger increases heat in the body, so it "cooks" the D into solids. You can take it as a supplement if you do not like the taste of ginger.

Esteemed Contributor

I was interested in the marshmallow and read up on it yesterday.  I do use Imodium when needed and am always looking for something better. I had not heard about the Imodium/heart connection.

Like many other supplements, there are many

good effects taking it, but almost as many bad effects - very confusing! Good for diarrhea and constipation? Good for digestion because it coats

lining stomach. But because it coats the lining of stomach, it messes the absorption of other meds?  Careful monitoring for diabetes, can lower blood sugar?  Will research more....

Honored Contributor

So only the big bottles you have to sign for?

I saw the smaller sizes on the shelf.

@kismet

Valued Contributor

missy1

I have to sign for the sudafed and show my ID, driver's license.  I don't know if it's like this all over the country.  Not sure about the Imodium cause I haven't gotten it since they pulled the larger bottles. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Imodium/Generics

[ Edited ]

@kismet wrote:

missy1

I have to sign for the sudafed and show my ID, driver's license.  I don't know if it's like this all over the country.  Not sure about the Imodium cause I haven't gotten it since they pulled the larger bottles. 

Yes, it is. Sudafed is used in the manufacturing of meth, so they've placed it behind the counter and require ID to purchase it for a number of reasons. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Regular Contributor

Like many over the counter drugs it has been found useful to opioid addicts.  Imodium is an opioid product, but is prescribed over the counter in amts that are not mind altering.  Heroin and fentanyl addicts have found that large quantities of imodium will help alleviate withdrawal symptoms.  unfortunately it takes 50-100 of the 2mg caplets that are available for purchase over the counter. the usual dosing to treat diarrhea being 2 caps followed by 1 cap for each episode of diarrhea until controlled. 

Once it was identified as being used in this manner, the larger bottles were removed from the shelf and required signature and identification. It is challenging for people who are prescribed larger doses for bowel function control to obtain enough medication.

Respected Contributor

@kismet wrote:

Thanks for all the information.   I did try to get some at Walmart but the larger size was sold out.  I know the Equate brand works because I use to get it there before Costco sold it.  Some generics aren't as good as others.  I've tried several brands in the past so I first went to Walmart.  I will check again since I do have half a bottle left.  I'm sure a lot of people have to plan to go out unlike those that don't have problems.  I know both Crohn's and IBS affect a lot of people, more than when I was diagnosed. 

I get my sudafed at Walgreens, box of 96 for I think $12 or something close to it.  I do have allergies and keep it on hand.  I suppose everyone has to sign for it with ID. 

I'll keep check at Walmart.

When you're buying store branded, generic OTC drugs, they're all the same. Virtually ALL of them are manufactured by Perrigo, located in Allegan, MI. They're the world's largest manufacturer of store branded products. Today the immodium line may be set up to manufacture for the Publix store brand. Next week it may be for Walmart. The following week it may be for Meijer, and so on. Other than different packaging and subtle differences in appearance (ie, a gelcap may be green for one store and blue for another), they're identical. I have access to getting things from their company store thru friends that work there and it makes no difference to me what store name is on the package. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

I guess if you have a normal digestive system that they are all the same.  Take out several feet of intestines and then add crohn's onto that and ibs and no I cannot take every generic.  I have tried and it doesn't work.  I even have one brand of BP pills that I take because while the generic has to have the same main ingredients they have different fillers.  If you doubt this ask anyone that has problems in this area.  What works for one does not work for another and I have almost 50 years of experience to prove it. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Imodium/Generics

[ Edited ]

@kismet wrote:

I guess if you have a normal digestive system that they are all the same.  Take out several feet of intestines and then add crohn's onto that and ibs and no I cannot take every generic.  I have tried and it doesn't work.  I even have one brand of BP pills that I take because while the generic has to have the same main ingredients they have different fillers.  If you doubt this ask anyone that has problems in this area.  What works for one does not work for another and I have almost 50 years of experience to prove it. 

I very much understand that generic prescription medications made by different manufacturers will have different fillers. I spent the bulk of my career working for a pharmaceutical manufacturer and was part of the team that formed their generic prescription arm in the 1990's. Even then, some generic prescription meds may be identical to the brand. For example, the generic version of Xanax manufactured by Greenstone is exactly the same as the brand name. Greenstone is a division of Pfizer and they're made on the same manufacturing line. However; the generic formulation from Mylan will be different. But you specifically asked about generic, OTC Imodium, which  doesn't require a prescription. The store brands of that drug from Wal-Mart, Walgreen, Meijer, Kroger, Safeway, CVS, Costco, etc may have a different filler than the brand name Imodium, but they are all made by the same manufacturer, using the same formulation. The same with their store brands of Tylenol and Motrin. The only differences are cosmetic and in the packaging. 

I wish you all the best in finding what you need. I have a close friend with Crohn's and I know how debillitating it can be.