Respected Contributor

If you have had an ICM Implant removed after 3 years how was that procedure?

The insertion of the implant was easy but was the removal as comfortable? Did the implant area give you any discomfort while you had it?

Also, if you have had an implant removed after being put on a blood thinner such as Xarelto, was the removal more complicated?

Did you find having the loop recorder implanted a benefit?

Thank you, any responses would be appreciated.

Respected Contributor

I'm interested to hear what responses you get about this...my dh has a loop recorder in since October.

Esteemed Contributor

Implanted 2015.

Still in place, but not in service.

The insertion was done while I was in the hospital. I was unconscious. 

The site bothered me for 2+ years.

The implant seemed to stand on end below the skin. It pushed outward and created a very slight elevation in the skin.

I was constantly aware of the most minute pressure and friction from all fabric. I wore a bandage over it to reduce contact with the movement of clothing. Plus the area felt constantly 'itchy' inside, under the skin.

During a 2018 mammogram, the attendant sort of 'flipped' the implant into a different position with her fingers so it would lay flat within my tissue and the plates could press down on my breast 

OMG! I didn't know you could do that!

The 'flip' to reposition it only took seconds, and I was able to continue the mammogram, now without pain.

The implant feels much better in the new position since that day. No more elevated or itchy spot. I can actually forget it's in there now.

Whether it is a benefit will be unique to the heart it's monitoring, and why the Dr wants it installed.

I didn't want this thing and it never recorded anything unusual.