Respected Contributor

Re: I’m “Officially A Non-Smoker”!

I thank my lucky stars that I never developed the habit of smoking cigarettes.  Besides the health implications, the COST!!!!  I live in a condo and the family that I share a wall with includes four adult smokers.  I swear, the stench comes through the electrical outlets!  I put YL Purification essential oil on cotton balls and tuck them behind the switchplates and it helps a lot. 

My vice that I'm working to control is sugar, which can be highly addictive as well. 

Respected Contributor

@HonestLife wrote:

I quit smoking cigarettes 6 years ago today!  In order for my insurance company to recognize me as a "non smoker", I needed to have 5 years of no cigarettes. I'm proud to say I've achieved this. I quit by vaping. Yes it's controversial, but I only vaped for 5 months and haven't looked back. Smoking has caused me many health deficits and I'm glad I'm done with it! To any cigarette smokers out there; if I can do it, you can too.! Just proud of myself. 

I know this was hard, you are right to be proud.  5 years, 10 years, 20 years from now you will think back and say whew! I'm so glad I gave them up.  Now go buy something extravagant with all the money you have saved for the last five years!

Honored Contributor

@roeroe1005 

Like you I didn't eat in our designated eating areas. I worked In a plant that made telephone wire. Clouds of Polyvinyl Chloride floating in the air the whole 8+ hours of work.

Myself and other non-smokers used to sit outside in the grass eating our lunches. If it rained we sat in a room on the concrete floor to eat, not too comfortable.

When my boss had meetings in a closed room, as soon as someone lit up, I walked out. He talked to me about it and I told him "no way I am sitting in a small room breathing smoke for a half hour". Told him to take whatever action he wanted, I really didn't care. Breathing in cancer causing fumes all day on the job was enough for me.

Also lost several co-workers to stomach and lung cancer. Smoking and breathing a "cancer causing agent's fumes" all day was enough risk to me to earn a living.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

Just a few days ago my cousin went to visit a friend who had a broken leg. The friend asked him to pick up a few things from the store which included two packs of cigarettes. When the cashier gave him the total, my cousin was shocked and told him he made a mistake with the price of the cigarettes. They were $7 a pack.

@Sage04 

My friends know me well enough not to expect me to do certain things. Help out when I can, in or out of the hospital or slightly incapacitated. Not a single one of them would ask me to buy them cigarettes. Why? Because they know exactly what I would tell them. Ah, NO!

On my machine job years ago, we all worked with 1 partner. When he took a break or went to lunch, I watched his machines, and he did the same.

Got hooked up with one partner, we knew each other well, but were seldom partners. Guess he got so used to saying "goin for a smoke, watch my machines' and other partners saying nothing! No me, I told "you know I ain't gonna watch them while you smoke". He soon remembered who he asked.

Had co-workers ask me for change for the cigarette machine. My answer always the same, even though I carried a lot of change. On night shifts, machines were you only choice if you wanted a cup of Joe, or a snack, no open cafeteria on Graveyard shift.

I have been retired just a couple months shy of 30 years, so this was me back in the early 1970's until I retired in 1991. Cigarettes for a friend with a broken leg? Guess the one buying them was a non-smoker, eh?

hckynut(john)🏒

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut, yes my cousin is a non smoker and that's why he was shocked at the price. It seems as if some people prefer to spend the money on cigarette than on food because they say it suppresses their appetites.

I've never tried it so I don't know if it's true.

Honored Contributor

@Sage04 wrote:

@hckynut, yes my cousin is a non smoker and that's why he was shocked at the price. It seems as if some people prefer to spend the money on cigarette than on food because they say it suppresses their appetites.

@Sage04 wrote:

@Sage04 

Really figured your cousin didn't smoke or the price would not have surprised him.

As for the food versus cigarette?  Obviously I can only speak for my body and mine. From my knowledge of what one eats, many measure it different ways.Some feel if you are eating something while not sitting, you didn't consume it. Count only "at the table meals". Met many that tell me "I only eat twice a day", yet I seen them getting food out of vending machines.

As for smoking itself, many say " it relaxes them, eases the pressure". That describes a "depressant", which slows caloric burn. Yet when they quit, for some reason, that look back at it as a "stimulant", which increases caloric burn. One thing for sure, it cannot be both.

Everyone's body is different in that respect. I however go by this: Weight, for most, can be controlled by "Calories Input, versus Calories Output". Too many, in my opinion, choose 1 route?  They seem to go for calories Input, when the calorie Output, might better serve their goals.

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

The hardest thing I ever did was quit smoking.  I had to go cold turkey though and it took me at least 4 tries.  I was so addicted.  Sometimes I think I still miss it.  It's been almost 26 years come this October 23rd.  Yes, I can tell you right down to the minute that I quit.  My health is so much better now and I wish I never smoked to begin with.  Twenty years give or take it was.  

Trusted Contributor

@zitawins wrote:

@HonestLife   You can be proud! It's an achievement. I know, because it's been six years for me, too.  I had to do it because I had lung cancer. Had surgery and am now five years cancer-free.

But, you know what? I still miss it. I still love the smell of it when I walk by some person smoking. But I'd never go back now. Besides, they are $9 a pack in Minnesota!

@zitawins I too still love the smell of someone else's cigarette. I think it's weird because when you're smoking your own they never seem to smell like that. I have to remind myself of that. Smiley LOL

Honored Contributor

Congrats!! November 1997 for me and gave up sugar soda at the same time.  I figured I would do all the pain at one time.  I would still knock everyone down to get to the store to buy some if cigarettes ever became healthy or at least not deadly.  I miss them and dream about them from time to time.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sage04 wrote:

Just a few days ago my cousin went to visit a friend who had a broken leg. The friend asked him to pick up a few things from the store which included two packs of cigarettes. When the cashier gave him the total, my cousin was shocked and told him he made a mistake with the price of the cigarettes. They were $7 a pack.

That's cheap.

When I quit in 2018 they were $8 and change in NJ.  I have no idea what they are now.

I quit, cold turkey, a year before my daughter got married because she said to me I don't know where I will hang my wedding dress after I pick it up from the bridal salon.