Respected Contributor

Andrew Lessman 'Fibermucil' vs laxative

I've heard that one can get addicted to laxatives.  In regard to Andrew Lessman's 'Fibermucil', it says take one or two a day.   I am concerned/wondering - would the 'Fibermucil' fall into the category of becoming 'addictive' too? (asking for a friend, haha)

Honored Contributor

Re: Andrew Lessman 'Fibermucil' vs laxative

@sarahpanda wrote:

I've heard that one can get addicted to laxatives.  In regard to Andrew Lessman's 'Fibermucil', it says take one or two a day.   I am concerned/wondering - would the 'Fibermucil' fall into the category of becoming 'addictive' too? (asking for a friend, haha)

@sarahpanda 

Comparison is like apples to oranges.  Laxatives are taken for a constipation problem.  Fiber products are taken regularly to keep things moving, to avoid constipation from happening.   I see no addiction problem, maybe someone else can speak to that.

Honored Contributor

I am the queen of bathroom problems and these are not addictive at all. Tell your friend, (ha ha)that  It doesn't make you go, it makes it easier to go.  I've used these on and off for years and they work well for me! 

Honored Contributor

My gastro doc recommended me taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber each morning, been doing that for last 11 years. I think it is easier on your system then Mucil products. 

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My gastro doc recommended me taking 2 teaspoons of Benefiber each morning, been doing that for last 11 years. I think it is easier on your system then Mucil products. 

My GI doc just made the same recommendation about Benefiber vs Psyllium.

Anyone use Digestive enzymes to address "gas" and "bloating"

Respected Contributor

To everyone who commented so far:  All I know is - (that my friend told me, haha) is that when taking Fibermucil, all of the past ''issues'' are a thing of the past - almost to good to be true.  Thank you for the input, friends.

Honored Contributor

I just looked up the ingredients in Benefiber.  I follow a Paleo diet, so this would be a hard no for me.  Plus, what exactly is the main/active ingredient here?

Ingredients: wheat dextrin, citric acid, maltodextrin, aspartame**, natural flavors, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, tricalcium phosphate, calcium silicate, gum arabic, magnesium oxide, titanium dioxide, red 40
**PHENYLKETONURICS: CONTAINS PHENYLALANINE

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I think my dad took Metamucil every day of his adult life.  It's no more habit forming than eating a ton of high fiber food.  It's very concentrated fiber, not a drug. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Laxatives are usually made of chemicals which react with something in your gut to make you go. But a fiber supplement adds bulk to your stool and softens it so it passes through easier. Some people take both. I take a stool softener laxative (generic Dulcolax) plus I also take a psyllium fiber supplement. If I don't take both of those then I'm in trouble.

Honored Contributor

I'm having excellent results, enjoying a daily serving of Chia Seed Pudding.