Respected Contributor

I've been in the ED and hospital several times since September 3rd. Each nurse, and sometimes doctors, asked me the same question. And I mean each  nurse during her/his shift. So I often answered the same questions several times each visit. 

Trusted Contributor

@software  That sounds scary! I'd be terrified to be in a hospital alone these days.

Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

Had a health event, found myself in the emergency department at my hospital.   Interrogated by what seemed liked every employee there for a couple of hours, off & on.   When it's determined I needed surgery, the doctor came in & started the same interrogation all over again.  By then I was exhausted & even I was surprised how difficult it became to answer all the questions he was asking me.    He was snapping at me, barely giving me time to answer.  I suggested he call my daughter & he turned, stomped off saying I'll just talk to her.

I know how important it is to communicate with the doctor, with all health professionals.   I did the best I could under the circumstances.

After surgery I was admitted & discovered I was labeled confused & a fall risk.  There was a walker in my room, which I never touched.  And everyone who walked in the room had to ask me ALL the questions like do you know where you are, what year is it, who's the president, on & on.  Every time!

Anyway, I'm home & better.    Any follow up can be done out patient but what an experience.

You were treated very, very well by the people who attended to you.  The questions are important.  I'd prefer questions than being ignored and no being listened to.  That's generally the major problem with going to doctors:  Some don't listen to their patients.  You have a situation where they DO listen and further ask so that they are clear and it's bothersome to you.  Maybe it's because you weren't feeling well, but I don't think this is something you should ever get riled up about @software !

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

I go through this nonsense with my parents.  Treat them like they have dementia until they prove they don't have it.  Put them in bed jail (alarm on the bed) until they prove they can walk OK.  

Yes, all the ridiculous interviews asking the same questions.  Why are the Admissions and Discharge agents asking intimate questions.  It's none of their business.  

Your best bet is to answer all the questions or you will be permanently labeled and treated as such every time you are admitted.  

It IS their business @Foxxee .  They don't want malpractice lawsuits.  They have certains standards of care which fall under ethical behaviors.  

Will you be ok at home alone?

Do need help taking your medicine?

I'm grateful for any doc, social worker, PA that would ask me these things upon discharge.  If I didn't have these questions and actually needed help I'd be talking to the right people to get me help in the home or whatever.

Honored Contributor

You were exhausted and there was no reason for that doctor to snap at you. My feeling is that the medical profession is stretched so thin because of understaffing. I'm thinking of asking a separate question here on the Wellness Forum and I fully expect some posters to be rude to me too, but I'm hoping to get some advice I can use.

Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I go through this nonsense with my parents.  Treat them like they have dementia until they prove they don't have it.  Put them in bed jail (alarm on the bed) until they prove they can walk OK.  

Yes, all the ridiculous interviews asking the same questions.  Why are the Admissions and Discharge agents asking intimate questions.  It's none of their business.  

Your best bet is to answer all the questions or you will be permanently labeled and treated as such every time you are admitted.  

It IS their business @Foxxee .  They don't want malpractice lawsuits.  They have certains standards of care which fall under ethical behaviors.  

I'm grateful for any doc, social worker, PA that would ask me these things upon discharge.  If I didn't have these questions and actually needed help I'd be talking to the right people to get me help in the home or whatever.

@gertrudecloset 

Didn't I say "It's best to answer all the questions?"  Yes, I did. 

As for admitting and discharge instructions, they do not need to know all the intimate details.  Their job, IMO, is arranging both.  That's it!!!

Respected Contributor

@wagirl wrote:

@rockygems123 ---oh I am so sorry!!! I broke mine on the 12th of this month and got in to see my surgeon on the 14th--then had surgery on the 18th--so yes it was pretty fast.  am totally non weight bearing and will be for the next 6 weeks at least....... Asolutely no walking on that foot at all!!!............ I go in this coming Monday for post op appt and will see if I can transition from this splint to a boot. I am in a wheelchair now but have a knee scooter, a walker and crutches--and I suggest you get all those things now.--you can rent them all per month. I use the wheelchair the most and the crutches as well but only a little. the walker is going back and hopefully the knee scooter will allow more freedom. Yesterday was the first day since the 12th, that I took only tylenol a few times for the pain. Was taking an opioid with it but don't need that now. DD and I live together and she works so I am here by myself but manage just fine. showers are a real challenge--got a shower chair that helps immensly and a hand held shower installed and   a vinyl boot like thing that you put over your foot and leg with the cast of splint on it,  that keeps the water out--it is the best thing ever  and a grabber too--my new best friend. 

good luck !! 

Thank you so much @wagirl!  So helpful, I'll look for knee scooter and wheelchair tomorrow after appointment.  Is a splint a cast?

My son is here too thankfully and works all day.  They are short staffed but he'll try for a week off after surgery.  I'd think that'd be the time that you'd need assistance the most?  TIA

Geez just looked at the calendar and you're 2 weeks today from breaking it, so soon too!

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

@gertrudecloset 

As for admitting and discharge instructions, they do not need to know all the intimate details.  Their job, IMO, is arranging both.  That's it!!!

@FoxxeeYOU said it wasn't their business.  I believe it IS their business.

Valued Contributor

And everyone knows that what you believe is the absolute truth!

Esteemed Contributor

@Foxxee wrote:

@gertrudecloset wrote:

@Foxxee wrote:

I go through this nonsense with my parents.  Treat them like they have dementia until they prove 

@gertrudecloset 

-------------------------------

@Foxxee 

Who is "they" in you 2nd to last sentence?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)