Honored Contributor

Re: I knew insulin is expensive but this is nuts.

Plants are filled with carbs. Protein has none. Carbs are the enemy of diabetics

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

No not everyone does. It isn't a given. It depends on why you are diabetic

But you won’t know unless one tries.

People don’t want to change diet & lifestyle.

And that’s the definition of choice. 

What you fail to understand @sidsmom is that eating a plant based diet is not necessarily good for the welfare of any diabetic. Many will find (like myself) that our blood sugars soar and we lose control of our A1C. All those carbohydrates play havoc with our control. Even your guru doctor claimed blood sugars of 300 were fine and that the patient should not test otherwise he fears that they will become discouraged. (HIS EXACT WORDS)

Most diabetics understand what a 300 blood sugar feels like and with time there is a real chance of ketoacidosis which is life threatening. I

So the claim that it is a CHOICE to have diabetes is ignorant at best.

People who eat plant based can acquire 300? He advises not to monitor the levels? Doesn't that mean it is not the best way to eat? 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

from mayo clinic

Causes

Blood sugar that's either too high or too low for too long may cause various serious conditions, all of which can lead to a diabetic coma.

• Diabetic ketoacidosis. If your muscle cells become starved for energy, your body may respond by breaking down fat stores. This process forms toxic acids known as ketones. If you have ketones (measured in blood or urine) and high blood sugar, the condition is called diabetic ketoacidosis. Left untreated, it can lead to a diabetic coma.

Diabetic ketoacidosis is most common in type 1 diabetes but sometimes occurs in type 2 diabetes or gestational diabetes.

• Diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome. If your blood sugar level tops 600 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL), or 33.3 millimoles per liter (mmol/L), the condition is called diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome.

Severely high blood sugar turns your blood thick and syrupy. The excess sugar passes from your blood into your urine, which triggers a filtering process that draws tremendous amounts of fluid from your body. Left untreated, this can lead to life-threatening dehydration and a diabetic coma. About 25 to 50 percent of people with diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome develop a coma.

• Hypoglycemia. Your brain needs glucose to function. In severe cases, low blood sugar may cause you to pass out. Hypoglycemia can be caused by too much insulin or not enough food. Exercising too vigorously or drinking too much alcohol can have the same effect.

Risk factors

Anyone who has diabetes is at risk of a diabetic coma, but the following factors can increase the risk:

• Insulin delivery problems. If you're on an insulin pump, you have to check your blood sugar frequently. Insulin delivery can stop if the pump fails or the tubing (catheter) is twisted or falls out of place. A lack of insulin can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis.
  • An illness, trauma or surgery. When you're sick or injured, blood sugar levels tend to rise, sometimes dramatically. This may cause diabetic ketoacidosis if you have type 1 diabetes and don't increase your insulin dosage to compensate.

Medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure or kidney disease, also may increase your risk of diabetic hyperosmolar syndrome.

• Poorly managed diabetes. If you don't monitor your blood sugar properly or take your medications as directed, you'll have a higher risk of developing long-term complications and a diabetic coma.
  • Deliberately skipping meals or insulin. Sometimes, people with diabetes who also have an eating disorder choose not to use their insulin as directed with the hope of losing weight. This is a dangerous, life-threatening practice that increases the risk of a diabetic coma.
  • Drinking alcohol. Alcohol can have unpredictable effects on your blood sugar. Alcohol's sedating effects may make it harder for you to know when you're having low blood sugar symptoms. This can increase your risk of a diabetic coma caused by hypoglycemia.
  • Illegal drug use. Illegal drugs, such as cocaine and ecstasy, can increase your risk of severe high blood sugar levels and conditions linked to diabetic coma.

Complications

Left untreated, a diabetic coma can lead to:

• Permanent brain damage
  • Death

Prevention

Good day-to-day control of your diabetes can help you prevent a diabetic coma. Keep these tips in mind:

• Follow your meal plan. Consistent snacks and meals can help you control your blood sugar level.
  • Keep an eye on your blood sugar level. Frequent blood sugar tests can tell you whether you're keeping your blood sugar level in your target range — and alert you to dangerous highs or lows. Check more frequently if you've exercised because exercise can cause blood sugar levels to drop, even hours later, especially if you don't exercise regularly.
  • Take your medication as directed. If you have frequent episodes of high or low blood sugar, let your doctor know. He or she may need to adjust the dose or the timing of your medication.
  • Have a sick-day plan. Illness can cause an unexpected change in blood sugar. If you are sick and unable to eat, your blood sugar may drop. Before you get sick, talk with your doctor about how to best manage your blood sugar levels. Consider storing at least three days' worth of diabetes supplies and an extra glucagon kit in case of emergencies.
  • Check for ketones when your blood sugar is high. Check your urine for ketones when your blood sugar level is over 250 mg/dL (14 mmol/L) on more than two consecutive tests, especially if you are sick. If you have a large amount of ketones, call your doctor for advice. Call your doctor immediately if you have any level of ketones and are vomiting. High levels of ketones can lead to diabetic ketoacidosis, which can lead to coma.
  • Have glucagon and fast-acting sources of sugar available. If you take insulin for your diabetes, make sure you have an up-to-date glucagon kit and fast-acting sources of sugar, such as glucose tablets or orange juice, readily available to treat low blood sugar levels.
  • Consider a continuous glucose monitor (CGM), especially if you have trouble maintaining stable blood sugar levels or you don't feel symptoms of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia unawareness).

CGMs are devices that use a small sensor inserted underneath the skin to track trends in your blood sugar levels and transmit the information to a wireless device.

These devices can alert you when your blood sugar is dangerously low or if it is dropping too fast. However, you still need to test your blood sugar levels using a blood glucose meter even if you're using a CGM. CGMs are more expensive than conventional glucose monitoring methods, but they may help you control your glucose better.

• Drink alcohol with caution. Because alcohol can have an unpredictable effect on your blood sugar, be sure to have a snack or a meal when you drink, if you choose to drink at all.
  • Educate your loved ones, friends and co-workers. Teach loved ones and other close contacts how to recognize the early signs and symptoms of blood sugar extremes and how to give emergency injections. If you pass out, someone should be able to call for emergency help.
  • Wear a medical ID bracelet or necklace. If you're unconscious, the ID can provide valuable information to your friends, co-workers and others — including emergency personnel.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

I just read this week that studies have shown that people who eat only a plant based diet have a higher rate of having a stroke.  They are not sure why, yet.

Those that eat meat have a higher risk of a heart attack.

No matter what diet plan you follow, there are risks.  There is no one size fits all...except in the end, the outcome will be the same.

It is a personal choice and millions of people are thrilled to even have something, anything to eat every day.

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

What you fail to understand @sidsmom is that eating a plant based diet is not necessarily good for the welfare of any diabetic. Many will find (like myself) that our blood sugars soar and we lose control of our A1C. All those carbohydrates play havoc with our control. Even your guru doctor claimed blood sugars of 300 were fine and that the patient should not test otherwise he fears that they will become discouraged. (HIS EXACT WORDS)

Most diabetics understand what a 300 blood sugar feels like and with time there is a real chance of ketoacidosis which is life threatening. I

People who eat plant based can acquire 300? He advises not to monitor the levels? Doesn't that mean it is not the best way to eat? 

@mom2four0418  Yes, eat a potato and many diabetics easily go over 300. Dr. McDougal claims a 300 fasting is fine. He does not believe in conventional blood glucose readings that the American Diabetes Association set forth to promote optimum health. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie  it depends on your health. I have no heart issues at all. My Dr  told me to eat protein, if I am hungry

They now think there a at least 5 different types of diabetes. perhaps  even many more

I am very careful to give only scientific results of  research programs, and the best medical advice in the world

I never tell people do do anything without consulting their Dr first

Every  nation in the world will tell you on their health pages ,there is no cure for diabetes. Remission is not a cure, it can return at any time. It usually only works on younger people who are newly diagnosed...it certainly doesn't work for everyone. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

I didn’t even mention the type of diet, nor mention any

medical professional.

Breathe.

Diet and Lifestyle changes are the first line of attack with diabetes.

Any one with a lick of sense knows that.

So YES, T2diabetes IS a choice. 

If one can change diet & lifestyle, it’s a choice. 

It is sad that you refuse to understand the science behind diabetes and blame people for their illness. No one wants to be sick and it is not a choice. 

Of of all the despicable rhetoric I have read on these forums, blaming people for an illness is the worst.

Esteemed Contributor

I called my sister.  The insulin is U500.  It's very consentrated and you can take less. Again my understanding.  Their drug plan has a very high out of pocket.  She said it will take $4000 out of pocket before insurance pays and it won't pay all of it.

Honored Contributor

She even told diabetics to go on a strictly potato diet ,remember @Trinity11 ? Just eat potatoes, day after day, and nothing else..sounds like the dark ages

Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

@mom2four0418 

Since this poster continuously gets this wrong,

I have to continuously correct.  

He/she can’t even ‘shade’ me right.  

This is the correct wording.

For those reading, the McDougal Diet is a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet low in fat (10-15% of calories from fat)....causing greater insulin sensitivity by removing the intramyocellular lipids, thus increasing the ratio of carbohydrate to insulin. 

If interested, research ‘Intramyocellular lipids’...and change the diet/lifestyle.  

(BOLDING my own...since some refuse to read this):

At the same time medication changes are being made, my patients begin strictly following the McDougall Diet and exercising daily (slowly at first). I ask them to monitor their blood sugars (fasting) every morning with their home measuring unit and report the results to me daily. Based on these blood sugar numbers their insulin injection dosage is either raised or lowered for that evening or the next day. The goal is to keep their fasting blood sugars between 150 mg/dL and 300 mg/dL. I discourage blood sugar measurements at any other time of the day unless they suspect hypoglycemia (too low a sugar). The finding of elevated sugars later in the day after eating just upsets the patient and does not add any useful information in deciding on the next dosage of insulin to be given.”