Honored Contributor

Re: I knew insulin is expensive but this is nuts.

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

While I am not diabetic, my sister and her husband are.  Last night she told me they usually get their insulin at Walmart for $25 a vial.

BIL's Dr. wanted him to try a different one and gave him a script for it. I don't remember the name. It was $1500.00.  Needless to say he didn't get it.  That is just wrong. I love it when Drs. want you to take something regardless of the price.

I understand new drugs and patents and such but most folks cannot pay that.

Insulin is not new and with the number of diabetics worldwide if insulin was available at a decent price they would still make money.

I am a Type 1 insulin dependent diabetic for nearly fifty years and a vial of insulin does not cost $1500.00. If your relatives are using insulin from Walmart, it is the older version of insulin and it isn't used as much today due to frequency of hypoglycemia.

I suspect that in translation, something was lost......

Honored Contributor

Insulin is being cut in price by 50% Some good news on the horizon for those who take mealtime insulin. Hopefully, basal insulin users will also see a cut.

Following widespread outrage at the high price of insulin, Danish drugmaker Novo Nordisk announced Friday it will cut its prices in half.

“While we will continue to do what we can to help address affordability challenges in the short-term, changes within the system are required to make sustainable and meaningful affordability a reality,” said Novo in a statement.

The manufacturer will begin offering a generic version of its most prescribed insulin, NovoLog, for $144.68 a vial — half of its current price. Approximately one million U.S. patients currently use NovoLog.

Honored Contributor

Just another bit of information. There are drug incentive programs from the leading producers of insulin where you can get a 3 month supply for $75.00. I get 6 boxes of both Novolog and Levemir for this price because I enrolled in the program. Unfortunately, Medicare will not be applicable to the programs but if you have private insurance, you can enroll immediately at the drug makers website.

In December I will be on Medicare including a drug program from my husband's company. The price will probably triple but it still is possible to get insulin for less money if you enroll in a company that gives you access...

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Drives mer crazy when a culture makes billionaires out of crazy housewives, violent athletes, etc. and still csn't figure out a sane way to provide medical needs for its people. 

Yes, we csn tell big pharma and medical researchers to work for less than someone willing to scream obscenities into the air, but why do we do that? 

....but yet when solid, scientific evidence says Diet & Lifestyle changes

will greatly reduce, if not eliminate medications, it’s just met with.....

’that’s crazy!’.

It’s a choice.  

Instead of complaining for others to change,

the change needs to start w/ the one taking the medication.

THEY can change.

You are not an expert on the functioning of the pancreas, nor are you an endocrinologist. You constantly try to harass, bully, and taunt diabetics on these boards. Please STOP.

Honored Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@millieshops wrote:

Drives mer crazy when a culture makes billionaires out of crazy housewives, violent athletes, etc. and still csn't figure out a sane way to provide medical needs for its people. 

Yes, we csn tell big pharma and medical researchers to work for less than someone willing to scream obscenities into the air, but why do we do that? 

....but yet when solid, scientific evidence says Diet & Lifestyle changes

will greatly reduce, if not eliminate medications, it’s just met with.....

’that’s crazy!’.

It’s a choice.  

Instead of complaining for others to change,

the change needs to start w/ the one taking the medication.

THEY can change.

You are not an expert on the functioning of the pancreas, nor are you an endocrinologist. You constantly try to harass, bully, and taunt diabetics on these boards. Please STOP.

Thank you @RetRN . I have often posted about pancreatic function in a Type 2 diabetic. I have told sidsmom about how a C-peptide test may show that a Type 2 diabetic has little to no insulin being produced upon diagnosis and insulin will be their best approach to the disease. It has all fallen on deaf ears and the equivilant of choosing to remain ignorant.

No one wants to have diabetes. It is NOT a choice. No matter how many times sidsmom claims otherwise.

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11   It's my understanding that the pricey med would replace two he is on now.  All I know is that the pharmacy at Walmart said it was $1500.00 when given the script.

They are both on a ton of meds and already shell out a lot of money for prescriptions every month.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 

I buy my Lantus pens for my diabetic cat at Mark's Marine Pharmacy in Canada and it's $180 or so for 5 pens.

It comes quickly and is the SAME Lantus available in the US.  The price may have gone up a bit in the last few months, but when I bought it over the winter, that was what they charged.

Their customer service is top notch.  

Honored Contributor

Even the American Diabetes website says ,Diabetes is not a choice...

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

@Trinity11   It's my understanding that the pricey med would replace two he is on now.  All I know is that the pharmacy at Walmart said it was $1500.00 when given the script.

They are both on a ton of meds and already shell out a lot of money for prescriptions every month.

It may be Trulicity which is NOT insulin rather an injectable that is used in the treatment of Type 2 diabetes. If they are on Medicare don't they have a drug plan?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Nevermind. Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"