Honored Contributor

Re: I knew insulin is expensive but this is nuts.

If you went to the ER with a 300 count blood sugar, they would take immediate steps to bring it  down

Honored Contributor

@CrazyKittyLvr2 wrote:

I called my sister.  The insulin is U500.  It's very consentrated and you can take less. Again my understanding.  Their drug plan has a very high out of pocket.  She said it will take $4000 out of pocket before insurance pays and it won't pay all of it.

Maybe she needs to get a new drug plan. Of course the premium will be exhorbitant. We are finding this because by December we need to choose a drug plan. My husband kept his company insurance for a year after retiring but they force us to change. Most Companies have very limited access to insulin at a decent price.

Thanks @CrazyKittyLvr2 for clarifying.

Honored Contributor

What is high blood sugar? In general, a blood sugar reading of more than 180 mg/dL or any reading above your target range is too high. A blood sugar reading of 300 mg/dL or more can be dangerous. If you have 2 readings in a row of 300 or more, call your doctor.What causes high blood sugar?Anything that can raise your blood sugar can cause it to go too high. Not having the right dose or kind of diabetes medicine, being ill or stressed, forgetting to take your diabetes pills or insulin, doing less exercise than usual, or eating more carbohydrates than usual are all things that can cause your blood sugar to go too high. Although it is frustrating, blood sugar levels can also be too high for no clear reason. Sometimes these high levels may be the first sign of an infection, illness or stress. Blood sugar levels can go very high when you are ill. Talk with your health care team about creating a ‘sick day plan’ to manage your diabetes when you have a cold, flu or other illness.How will I feel when my blood sugar is too high? At times you might not notice any symptoms of high blood sugar. Other times, you may feel the way you did when you first had diabetes. You may:feel weak and tired have blurred vision go to the bathroom more often have a dry mouth be thirsty feel nauseated and vomit

Adult Diabetes Education ProgramHigh Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)- 2 - If you have any of these symptoms, check your blood sugar level to see if that is the problem. If your blood sugar levels are high for several days, you may also feel hungry, nauseated or dizzy when you stand. If your blood sugar keeps going higher, other people may notice that you act confused. This is an emergency, and you need to go to the hospital right away. If you aren’t treated, you can go into a coma.How can I treat hyperglycemia?First, drink plenty of water or sugar-free fluid to help “flush” the sugar from your bloodstream. Think about why your blood sugar is high! Blood sugar can be high due to:illness or infection stress less activity than normal missed diabetes medicine eating more carbohydratesa new medicineIf you’ve just not been in your usual routine, your blood sugar should go back to normal once your routine goes back to normal.But if you feel ill, see blood sugar over 300 twice in a row, or see blood sugar above your target range for more than a week, then you should call your doctor.Ask your doctor, nurse or dietitian:1.What is the target range for my blood sugar readings? 2.What should I do when my blood sugar readings are too high? 3.When should I call you about high blood sugar levels? 4.Can you help me to make a sick day plan?Developed by the Michigan Diabetes Research and Training Cente

Honored Contributor

h@sidsmom wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@cherry wrote:

No not everyone does. It isn't a given. It depends on why you are diabetic

But you won’t know unless one tries.

People don’t want to change diet & lifestyle.

And that’s the definition of choice. 

What you fail to understand @sidsmom is that eating a plant based diet is not necessarily good for the welfare of any diabetic. Many will find (like myself) that our blood sugars soar and we lose control of our A1C. All those carbohydrates play havoc with our control. Even your guru doctor claimed blood sugars of 300 were fine and that the patient should not test otherwise he fears that they will become discouraged. (HIS EXACT WORDS)

Most diabetics understand what a 300 blood sugar feels like and with time there is a real chance of ketoacidosis which is life threatening. I

So the claim that it is a CHOICE to have diabetes is ignorant at best.

People who eat plant based can acquire 300? He advises not to monitor the levels? Doesn't that mean it is not the best way to eat? 

@mom2four0418 

Since this poster continuously gets this wrong,

I have to continuously correct.  

He/she can’t even ‘shade’ me right.  

This is the correct wording.

For those reading, the McDougal Diet is a Whole Foods Plant Based Diet low in fat (10-15% of calories from fat)....causing greater insulin sensitivity by removing the intramyocellular lipids, thus increasing the ratio of carbohydrate to insulin. 

If interested, research ‘Intramyocellular lipids’...and change the diet/lifestyle.  

(BOLDING my own...since some refuse to read this):

At the same time medication changes are being made, my patients begin strictly following the McDougall Diet and exercising daily (slowly at first). I ask them to monitor their blood sugars (fasting) every morning with their home measuring unit and report the results to me daily. Based on these blood sugar numbers their insulin injection dosage is either raised or lowered for that evening or the next day. The goal is to keep their fasting blood sugars between 150 mg/dL and 300 mg/dL. I discourage blood sugar measurements at any other time of the day unless they suspect hypoglycemia (too low a sugar). The finding of elevated sugars later in the day after eating just upsets the patient and does not add any useful information in deciding on the next dosage of insulin to be given.”

He knows that a fasting Blood Sugar will increase exponentially after a meal, that is why he discouraged checking. A 150 can easily turn into a 400 after a bowl of oatmeal. A 300 can turn into a 600 and on and on.

This a recipe for ketoacidosis. Death can occur.

Honored Contributor

2 hrs after eating, blood sugar should be under 180...if you don't test, you are playing with fire

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

@Carmie  it depends on your health. I have no heart issues at all. My Dr  told me to eat protein, if I am hungry

They now think there a at least 5 different types of diabetes. perhaps  even many more

I am very careful to give only scientific results of  research programs, and the best medical advice in the world

I never tell people do do anything without consulting their Dr first

Every  nation in the world will tell you on their health pages ,there is no cure for diabetes. Remission is not a cure, it can return at any time. It usually only works on younger people who are newly diagnosed...it certainly doesn't work for everyone. Once a diabetic, always a diabetic

I agree with you, Cherry.  I would not trust anyone but medical personal.

I am not diabetic, but all four of my siblings are.

I have read many times that gastric bypass surgery will reverse diabetes. They are not sure why this works, but it certainally is not doable if you are not obese and that surgery has a whole other basket of issues.

Honored Contributor

I am not obese @Carmie  my diabetes is tied to my thyroid. I simply can't make enough of it

Honored Contributor

@cherry   Oh, I know you are not obese.  That's why Gastric Bypass would not work for you and most other diabetics.

For those that are obese, bypass is an option.  Perhaps someday, they will figure out why this surgery works...immediately.  They are working on it.

Hopefully then, they can then figure out a better treatment plan without insulin and a carb control diet.

I admit, I am scared of getting diabetes as it seems to run in my family.

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am not obese @Carmie  my diabetes is tied to my thyroid. I simply can't make enough of it

I have known more slender Type 2 diabetics when I used to be a leader for diabetes support group meetings than overweight diabetics. Many lost weight in my group but continued to have diabetes. Everyone, though, said that potatoes and white starch drove their numbers up. 

Like you have often posted @cherry , Eat To Your Meter. Have a meal of potatoes, corn and whole grain bread and compare to some chicken, salad with oil and vinegar and broccoli with cheese sauce and the starchy meal can be more than 100 points difference. 

Honored Contributor

If you value your health ,before you undertake any eating plan, that says they will cure you, talk to your Dr first ,you know they person who actually went to medical school ,and had to pass a board certification test, to practice medicine, and is licensed by the gov ,to do so.