Valued Contributor

I had a physical today because I have hit 65

I guess insurance companies are requiring age 65 on up to get annual physicals. Maybe they have always done this?  I turned 65 this year so this is my first experience with it.  I think it's a good idea, but I had just been to my regular dr. for blood work.. My physical today prompted a reminder (and paperwork) for a mammogram, bone density test, ultrasound test in my legs (indications of a circulatory problem), stool test and pneumonia and shingles shot. They sure don't want me to get sick!!!  Preventive care.  Do all insurance co. require this now? 

Trusted Contributor

Re: I had a physical today because I have hit 65

Was this your "Welcome to Medicare" visit?  I had mine last week.

Respected Contributor

When Medicare started to allow an Annual Physical, providers took advantage of it. However, the shingles vaccine is still not covered under Medicare, don't know why that's excluded and you would be responsible for that expense which could be $250 and up. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will be 65 next year and I will not do all that stuff.  Crazy!   Money Racket!  I get labs every 6 months and mammogram once a year and that is it. I had a bone density about 17 years ago and they told me I had the bones of an 85 year old woman.  I cannot take the meds and seriously , I am in better shape then anyone I know that is my age.  I refuse that test also.   I have also been offered a colonoscopy and told the Dr no THanks I am trying to cut back.    I know 2 people that died having that test.  No way --too invasive. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mustang Shar wrote:

When Medicare started to allow an Annual Physical, providers took advantage of it. However, the shingles vaccine is still not covered under Medicare, don't know why that's excluded and you would be responsible for that expense which could be $250 and up. 

The shingles vaccine  can be covered under Medicare Part D, which is the prescription benefit. It's best to have this immunization done right there in the pharmacy.  A doctor can't bill for this service, but a pharmacy can.

Many Medicare Advantage plans also cover the shingles vaccine.

Honored Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

I guess insurance companies are requiring age 65 on up to get annual physicals. Maybe they have always done this?  I turned 65 this year so this is my first experience with it.  I think it's a good idea, but I had just been to my regular dr. for blood work.. My physical today prompted a reminder (and paperwork) for a mammogram, bone density test, ultrasound test in my legs (indications of a circulatory problem), stool test and pneumonia and shingles shot. They sure don't want me to get sick!!!  Preventive care.  Do all insurance co. require this now? 

@chihuahuamom

Just to clarify your comment ..... you were required to have the checkup .... or it was suggested?     I've never heard of mandatory physicals!

Honored Contributor

My advantage plan covers the shingles vaccine as a tier 4 drug - $95 co pay plus I have to have it specially packaged because I am allergic to the normal packaging and that is an additional $200 copay so $295. I decided to take a chance I won't get it.

New Contributor

Here in VA, the Shingles, Flu,  Pneumonia vaccines are covered under Medicare. But you have to be mindful of Where you get them. Check with your insurance and if you have a Secondary insurance they should pick up some of the cost. I'm 72. It did for me.

New Contributor

Medicare, calls it a Wellness check. I take the tests  ordered, because I want to be aware of what might be going on with my body. But being a retired nurse I tend to think differently. Some things are not necessary, some are. You have to know which ones .

Esteemed Contributor

@chihuahuamom wrote:

Another way of looking at this, my personal thought, is to be grateful to have access to great health care.  Yes, life changes as we age.  We do have to focus more on health concerns than we ever did.  If and when we develop a problem, the earlier we start treatment, the better.  Do get your shingles shot.  Get your pneumonia shots, yes two.  You certainly don't want to get shingles, nor pneumonia.  If you have a circulatory problems in your legs, that can be corrected by an interventional radiologist.  I am 72 and yes, I do remember when life was more carefree.  But you really have to consider that the time and energy spent in trying your best to maintain a decent level of health is a tremendous investment.  As someone once told me, "Growing old is not for sissies,"  I wish you a long, healthy, and happy life.