Trusted Contributor

Re: Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

Any experiences to share? Thanks to all.

As others have mentioned, it's used in Wound Care and also for treating burns, such as burns from fires and chemical burns, too.

It can help in Wound Care when you have chronic wounds that have been difficult to heal, otherwise.

You have to be a candidate for it health-wise, and need to be able to be breathe properly in the the hyperbaric chamber. No sinus issues, etc.

It was recommended for me, but I personally did not qualify due to chronic sinus issues.

Respected Contributor

20 plus years ago I remember sending patients to therapy in the hyperbaric oxygen chamber.  Most for wounds.

Regular Contributor

I've never had that, but in addition to some of the other reasons mentioned for which individuals may get recommended to hyperbaric oxygen therapy (including wound healing, infection, gangrene and/or frostbite), I believe that if a person has carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, then he or she may get prescribed HBOT (aka HBO2) by a medical doctor.  (Just an fyi that the abbreviation of oxygen on the "periodic table of elements" is O2.)  Though, not all health insurance companies may pay for the treatment.

One such website (mayo clinic) refers to some of the risks of HBOT to include:

Middle ear injuries, including leaking fluid and eardrum rupture, due to changes in air pressure

Temporary nearsightedness (myopia) caused by temporary eye lens changes

Lung collapse caused by air pressure changes (barotrauma) 

Seizures as a result of too much oxygen (O2 toxicity) in your central nervous system

Lowered blood sugar in people who have diabetes treated with insulin

In certain circumstances, fire - due to the oxygen-rich environment of the treatment chamber