Esteemed Contributor

my doctor is starting me on Humira wondering if anyone is on it and what are your thoughts?  I've been kind of Leary about going on it ,  but in my case there is nothing else that can help he feels this drug hopefully will.  I've been putting him off for awhile now as Injections freak me out !! 🙀. I will go to my primary and her nurse will administer the Injection.  It's due to arrive tomorrow and I'm pretty anxious about side effects and all.  There are so many !  I have many allergies and sensitive too many types of drugs.   Well I guess I'll find out after that ist dose.

would like to hear your experience if your taking this drug .  Also if it helped you .

Valued Contributor

My husband has been on it for about 3 years now without any side effects that are a problem. His doctor has his liver checked twice a year and so far very good. It has cleared his psoriasis probably 90%. He feels he cannot do without it. Does not want to go back to the horrible skin condition. Good luck to you.

Esteemed Contributor

@nomar wrote:

My husband has been on it for about 3 years now without any side effects that are a problem. His doctor has his liver checked twice a year and so far very good. It has cleared his psoriasis probably 90%. He feels he cannot do without it. Does not want to go back to the horrible skin condition. Good luck to you.

@nomar  I'm glad to hear your husband has done so well on Humira it's wonderful when a drug works for a chronic condition such as psoriasis.  I'll be taking it for another condition and teally hope it helps side effect free.  Thank you 😺

Valued Contributor

I was on Humera for a few years for RA.  No side effects, but it stopped being effective after a time.  My dr switched me to Xeljanz.

The injections are no big deal.  It's an ejection tube that you hold to a fatty part of yourself - stomach or thigh - and depress a button.  It takes a few seconds for the drug to enter.  It feels like a pin ******.  I think after you have it done at your doctor's office you'll find it is easier to just do it at home.

Good luck!

Valued Contributor

@Kitty Galore, I've been on Biologics for 14 years, Humira for the last 7 years. I use the auto-inject pen and do it myself weekly along with an injection of Methotrexate.  I feel like the Humira does not work as well to control my disease as it once did, but because I also have chronic Uveitis I have to keep taking it. 

No side effects at all, I see my Rheumatologist and have bloodwork done every 90 days.  Good luck to you, I hope you find relief with it!   Heart

Trusted Contributor

Re: Humira ....

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore I have been on Humira for as long as it has been available for my RA. No side effects for me.  I to was deathly afraid of needles when I first started but now it's a piece of cake.  I use the auto-inject pen and it's so easy.  The one thing I will tell you to remember is you need to let the pen come to room temp before using(about 30 min) or it will sting like he**.  This is now advised by the makers of Humira.

Esteemed Contributor

@Sueliz wrote:

@Kitty Galore, I've been on Biologics for 14 years, Humira for the last 7 years. I use the auto-inject pen and do it myself weekly along with an injection of Methotrexate.  I feel like the Humira does not work as well to control my disease as it once did, but because I also have chronic Uveitis I have to keep taking it. 

No side effects at all, I see my Rheumatologist and have bloodwork done every 90 days.  Good luck to you, I hope you find relief with it!   Heart

@Sueliz  Hi !  That's why My ophthalmologist is putting me on Humira I also have chronic uveitis and Cell Cept is not enough to keep it under  control.  I have had  ozurdex implants but they raise my eye pressure.  I would much rather take something that isn't an injection,  but if it works then that will be wonderful!  How long ha e you had uveitis ?  What type do you have ?   i haven't met anyone else with uveitis it's certainly can be a scary condition.

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@Kitty Galore I have been on Humira for as long as it has been available for my RA. No side effects for me.  I to was deathly afraid of needles when I first started but now it's a piece of cake.  I use the auto-inject pen and it's so easy.  The one thing I will tell you to remember is you need to let the pen come to room temp before using(about 30 min) or it will sting like he**.  This is now advised by the makers of Humira.

@grandma2pkmh  I've read about that in bringing it to room temperature.  In fact the nurse ambassador they put me in touch with made sure to tell me that.  Right now I'm going to have my primary's nurse give it to me ,  just the thought of doing it myself scares me to death !!!   Maybe in time I can but not right now.  I opted for the pre filled Syringe instead of the pen. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Humira ....

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

@Sueliz wrote:

@Sueliz  Hi !  That's why My ophthalmologist is putting me on Humira I also have chronic uveitis and Cell Cept is not enough to keep it under  control.  I have had  ozurdex implants but they raise my eye pressure.  I would much rather take something that isn't an injection,  but if it works then that will be wonderful!  How long ha e you had uveitis ?  What type do you have ?   i haven't met anyone else with uveitis it's certainly can be a scary condition.

Hi @Kitty Galore, I have also never met anyone else with it!   I have Posterior Uveitis which was brought on by an autoimmune arthritis ( Ankylosing Spondylitis) that I was diagnosed with in 2004.  I'm so fortunate to have a great Opthamologist who specializes in Uveitis, he has saved my eyesight 2x. My last flare started in May and I go next week to see if I can finally stop the steroid drops. 

I'm so sorry you have this too, I know how incredibly painful it is.  Please don't hesitate to reach out to me if you have any questions or just need to vent.  Let me know how the Humira works for you.  In April my Rheumatologist had me try Cosentyx for my AS but within 3 weeks I had a major Uveitis flare so back to Humira!  Cosentyx doesn't work for Uveitis.    Heart   

Honored Contributor

My cousins wife took Humira for RA for about 14 months or so, and did well.   Right after that 14 month time period, she had large blisters pop out over 70% of her body that were very painful and weepy.   The blisters did not go away until after she stopped the Humira.   She now takes Xeljanz, and seems to be doing well so far.