Esteemed Contributor

does anyone use Humira for hidradenitis....if so.....did it help....my doctor suggested this med to help with this chronic problem.....

Regular Contributor

hello, my husband has been on it for years to control his ulcerative colitis, so far as good.

Honored Contributor

@nana59 

I will post a link that includes pictures. 

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamadermatology/fullarticle/407559

Humira was suggested for me also and I decided against using it. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

@nana59   I had not heard of this condition so I had to look it up. It looks like it could be very painful and I am sorry you are going through it. In my reading about it, it does state Humira is the only FDA approved biologic suggested for treatment.  I have been taking Humira for over 10 years for my RA with no side effects. It has helped me tremendously.  It is something you have to decide as to whether you want to risk any possible effects vs the condition itself. Check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover the medicine. It is one of the more expensive available. 

Esteemed Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@nana59 

if not too personal...why did you decide against it.....

Esteemed Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@nana59   I had not heard of this condition so I had to look it up. It looks like it could be very painful and I am sorry you are going through it. In my reading about it, it does state Humira is the only FDA approved biologic suggested for treatment.  I have been taking Humira for over 10 years for my RA with no side effects. It has helped me tremendously.  It is something you have to decide as to whether you want to risk any possible effects vs the condition itself. Check with your insurance company to make sure they will cover the medicine. It is one of the more expensive available. 

thanks for your kindness....this condition has changed my life....i have osteo and psoriatic arthritis...so maybe this med will be beneficial for all my woes....

Valued Contributor

@nana59  I take HUMIRA every week for Chorns, it has helped me much more than the Remicaide, I was on. I give myself my shots and the beesting gets less every time.  As far as the sideffects are,the pro and cons the pros let me enjoy life more. Yes this is a biological  drug, but all drugs that we take for these chronic disorders, and for just plain illnesses have side effects. One good thing is that you can qualify for a coupon and get the drug super cheap. I don’t know how it works without insurance,I do need to find this out as hubby may be out of work. Whatever you decide talk with your qualified MD ,ask  questions. I am glad I use it. Good luck!

Esteemed Contributor

My daughter has been on Humira for about 4 years for Crohns...

You have to be vigilant with washing your hands and staying away from sick people since  it supresses your immune system

Honored Contributor

@butterfly123 wrote:

@nana59 

What's your point?

Trusted Contributor

I used Enbrel, which is very similar to Humera (they're both TNF inhibitors) and never had a problem. My only side effect was relief. Good luck.