Regular Contributor

Has anybody ever taken Ciprofloxacin and flagl together for diverticulitis? 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Ciprofloxacin and flagl

[ Edited ]

@jagk wrote:

Has anybody ever taken Ciprofloxacin and flagl together for diverticulitis? 

@jagk 

Yes twice. And it can be a brutal combination on your stomach & bowels but it does the job. If I ever get another attack I might beg for something other than that combo. If that's the best he can do then I'll have to endure because it will fix ya! But then you might be one of the lucky ones that the combo doesn't bother.

Valued Contributor

My husband has taken those two antibiotics quite a few times for diverticulitis flares. They worked beautifully--he had no side effects from them--but he made sure to also take a probiotic.

Esteemed Contributor

I just remembered something because of the mention of probiotics. I think that was the combo that had me calling my gyno's office for some meds because you know how sometimes antibiotics affect women. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I took it till the cows came home late last year...I eventually ended up being hospitalized for four days. I took ten days of Cipro and Flagyl originally for diverticulitis but didn't get much better. In the hospital I got Flagyl and Levaquin (same class of drug as Cipro but a little stronger) by IV and then was sent home with another ten days of Flagyl and Levaquin by mouth. It's a wonder I'm still alive! I absolutely hated having to take these darn drugs but didn't know what else to do. That's my story...and I'm still here ticking to tell about it.   

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Similar story.  In hospital 3 different times (once a month) for diverticulosis then had surgery because one diverticula perforated.  Don't recommend it!!!!!!!

Can't take the combo orally.  Did OK on the IV drip.  The oral combo caused intestinal irritation, swelling and blockage!  

Worse experience of my life!

Regular Contributor

I finish all the Cipro and flagl yesterday. Now I have acid reflux and feel A little dizzy. I’m also really tired. I think the diverticulitis is better.  How long do these effects last? Thanks for all your replies.

Valued Contributor

Haven't had a diverticulitis flare up in a while, but usually it's Cipro and another heavy duty antibiotic that they prescribe. Leave a terrible taste in my mouth. 

DH has h.pyloric bacterial infection right now. Long story he had an emergency splenectomy in October and since then it's one thing after another on top of liver disease.  But he's on a 14 day regimen of amoxicillin, clarioxicillin (sp?), bismuth and omeprozone.  It seems to be doing the job. Had no idea he had it, he had an upper endoscopy which found it.  So far so good.  We go back next week for blood work, breathing test and doctor. 

Helen852