Honored Contributor

Re: How old were you when you realized you couldn't run anymore?

i will be 52 this year and i can still run.......no marathons or races or anything though. i really prefer a fast walk though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

Hi Ford

I started running last year (I walked for about a year) when a friend and I decided to do the SF Giants 5K run/walk. I thought we were going to walk it until she told me that she ran a 1/2 marathon the year before. I didn't want to be left behind, so I started running parts of my walk and soon I was running my whole walk.

Since that Giants 5K, I have run about 7 others. I went from being 5'3 and 165lbs to 114lbs and I have never felt better. Out of my races, I have taken 3 medals for 2nd place in my age group. I am a proud 45 year old runner.

Deb

Honored Contributor

On 3/28/2014 SFGIANTSGIRL said:

Hi Ford

I started running last year (I walked for about a year) when a friend and I decided to do the SF Giants 5K run/walk. I thought we were going to walk it until she told me that she ran a 1/2 marathon the year before. I didn't want to be left behind, so I started running parts of my walk and soon I was running my whole walk.

Since that Giants 5K, I have run about 7 others. I went from being 5'3 and 165lbs to 114lbs and I have never felt better. Out of my races, I have taken 3 medals for 2nd place in my age group. I am a proud 45 year old runner.

Deb

That's fantastic! Congrats to you!

Honored Contributor

I knew/know a few orthopedic nurses who have millions of stories re: overdoing running. Lots of surgeries, etc. Nothing (well, almost) ends well later in life when a person does too much running for many years. Very bad on all of the joints. And, I'm guessing that the internal muscles/organs/whatever don't like being jiggled/bounced over and over again. Lots of sagging there. You know, 'dropped this and that' later in life. JMObservations

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

I noticed some knee pain after I hit 60's and decided to quit running and keep it at a fast walk rather than push my luck and do more damage....knees are pretty good so far thank goodness (:
Trusted Contributor

I've never been able to run because of severe exercise induced asthma. I always got a ""C"" in gym because of it when I was still in school.

Valued Contributor

42?
Occasional Contributor

I am 51 and just ran my first half marathon in Feb. I started running in races a few years ago and I have run several 5ks, two 10ks and the half marathon. I am planning on running another half marathon in Nov.

Super Contributor

On 3/28/2014 Azcowgirl said: I noticed some knee pain after I hit 60's and decided to quit running and keep it at a fast walk rather than push my luck and do more damage....knees are pretty good so far thank goodness (:
Good for you! Treasure and love those wonderful knees everyday! Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

I don't run, unless someone is chasing me with a pistol. {#emotions_dlg.scared}

It is the one form of exercise that makes EVERYTHING feel worse after doing it.