Honored Contributor

Re: How Old Is Your Heating Pad?

We had a couple of very old ones, very old but in the last few years my DH got 2 new ones that are King Size so they cover larger areas of the body. 

Esteemed Contributor

Mine is atleast 15 years old. It still works fine.I use it quite often to soothe my stomach when my IBS acts up.

Respected Contributor

Believe it or not, we didn't own a heating pad but, about a month ago, DH pulled a muscle in his thigh and off I went to Wal-Mart, to get a heating pad. I bought a Sunbeam one with three heat settings for about $15. Does the job!

Trusted Contributor

My latest is about two years old.  When my old one ( of more than 30 years old) died, I bought a few until I found one that got hot enough, had a decent timer, and actually had real settings. 

Respected Contributor

Ancient, and it still works great. Cat Happy

My DH uses it.

Respected Contributor

Guess it's sad when you get them as gifts - haha lucky me!

Seriously, I love them and use them weekly.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs I use it on high, and it gets plenty hot!  Now...that being said...it does not maintain that super hot temp.  The best way I can describe it, is that it settles down to a comfortable temp.  The important thing to remember is that no matter what setting you use, the far infrared heat is radiating about 2 inches into your body, which is how the healing occurs.  It doesn't just surface heat like a regular heating pad.

I have this same brand in my regular heating pad, and it does the same thing--starts out super hot and then decreases to a comfortable warmth.

The infrared pad has very simple controls of low, medium, and high, and it will shut itself off automatically after two hours. The infrared is all manual with no display. The regular heating pad has 6 temps, and you can choose continual heat or a 2-hour shut-off.  It has a digital display but manual buttons.  

If I had known about infrared when I first replaced the old Sunbeam, I would have just gotten the Pure Enrichment Far Infrared pad.  I mean, if you're going to use heat, why not use the one that actually helps healing?  

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg  Thank you for for your great, detailed review.  I appreciate you taking the time to write it. I am going to look into this.  We have a regular heating pad that I have had for years and is still working great.  DH recently pulled his back while bending over and the doctor said to use heat or ice whichever felt better.

Thanks again~

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Probably as old as yours....I just don't use it that much

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs , you are certainly welcome. This brand has a lot of different sizes and shapes of far infrared heating pads, so make sure you look at all of them to see which one would best meet your husband's needs. Like you, I like to read the reviews but decided to give one a try, because I didn't have anything to lose.