Valued Contributor

I always had thick long hair my whole life -

After a total hysterectomy, I notice it thinning a bit, and I've heard that taking Biotin 10,000 once a day supports hair, skin and nails.  I just started taking it - Anyone had any experience with Biotin??

Honored Contributor

@Ronettes   I took large doses of Biotin for over a year hoping to improve nails.  It did absolutely nothing.  I might as well have popped M&Ms.

Hair naturally thins some as you age.  I've always had thick hair too but it's not what it used to be.  It's not the worst part of aging but it's natural and I don't think a pill will improve the situation.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Re: ANYONE TAKING BIOTIN??

[ Edited ]

I take it.  My nails and hair are growing faster than they used to.  No negative side effects that I've noticed.  To be fair, I do other things for hair skin and nails too. 

E7A04B0C-D922-45FF-93A4-BC6A07ECC159.jpeg

Honored Contributor

i take both biotin and collagen pills. i just started the collagen.

i have not noticed much with my hair other than it seems to grow a bit faster, but not thicker or more of it.

they have definitely helped with my nails though.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Contributor

I take Biotin Gummies every day, as I have hair loss. I'm not sure if it really does anything for me. 

I noticed a difference when I started putting Collagen powder in my coffee every morning, and taking Minoxidil. I also use Vegamour Gro+ drops every day. It's difficult as women to know if it's just from stress, getting older, or if there's a real problem.

Take a look at the products mentioned and see if they might be a good fit for you. It does take up to four months to actually notice a difference, so try being patient. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@Ronettes,

My mother, sister, and I were taking biotin and did notice nails growing faster but nothing with hair-UNTIL!

My sister read that you need to take 10,000/day and so we all started that.

We all noticed a difference in our hair, especially my mother who had thinning hair. It was growing in thicker, my sister too. Mine was growing as fast as my nails.

I guess it took a few months or less to notice.

And I like that there were no side effects with any of us except spending money on it or taking another pill a day. Worth it.

I do think it is pretty amazing that we all saw a definite difference.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Valued Contributor

Thank You all for your input!

Think I will try that collagen powder.

Online I see that quite a few women have had successful results, so I will take it for several months, and let you know how it worked for me!

I went through menopause and absolutely nothing happened to me, perhaps a bit short on patience (LOL!) but nothing else.  I still looked and felt exactly the same.

Then I had to have a total hysterectomy - a few things happened after that, but I adjusted to it.

Valued Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Ronettes,

My mother, sister, and I were taking biotin and did notice nails growing faster but nothing with hair-UNTIL!

My sister read that you need to take 10,000/day and so we all started that.

We all noticed a difference in our hair, especially my mother who had thinning hair. It was growing in thicker, my sister too. Mine was growing as fast as my nails.

I guess it took a few months or less to notice.

And I like that there were no side effects with any of us except spending money on it or taking another pill a day. Worth it.

I do think it is pretty amazing that we all saw a definite difference.

Thank You for that positive review!

I bought two bottles of Biotin and will post my results in a few months!

Honored Contributor

Been taking 10,000 mcg for last 20 years, for my thinning hair, still very thin but nails are great. 

Esteemed Contributor

I've taken biotin for years and have to agree....it doesn't to a thing for hair thickening, density or growth. The only reason I am taking it is because a lab test prove I had a bio to deficiency. Other than that, I just don't see a reason to take it.