Valued Contributor

Re: How Old Is Your Heating Pad?

I probably had the same one. I have a Sunbeam I bought from the Q and about ten years old. I used it recently on my upper back. It was hard unrolling it, kind of crinkly but works fine. I like the long cord on it.

Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn wrote:

@ECBG 

I don't have one and can't remember the last time I used one. I'm pretty much and ice, and RICE guy for injuries, and believe me, I have had aplenty!  

hckynut 🇺🇸

@hckynutjohn 

I pulled the main muscle going up the back of my neck.  I spoke to a nurse who told me to alternate hot and cold, as did looking it up.

Respected Contributor

we had an ancient one, probably 45 yrs old. and decided to get a new one. Old one had a flannel cover and H,M,L, and off. We upgraded to one that was larger, faster and auto shut off.

A local vet, made a facebook request for any old style heating pads, so i donated mine to her. She need ones without the auto shut off for baby kittens/litters, she was caring for/ her rescue work.

Respected Contributor

@ECBG My old Sunbeam was 40 years old when it bit the dust last year!  I bought a new regular one, and then after sustaining a wrist injury, did some research and discovered that far infrared heating pads are the way to go to help healing.  I bought a Pure Enrichment universal wrap on Amazon and love it as it can be wrapped around various parts of the body or used flat.

I also bought a heating pad designed as a pocket for warming the feet!  You will have to pry that thing off my cold dead feet, as it may be the best thing I've ever bought, as my feet are ALWAYS cold.

At this point, I am heating pad poor.  lol

Trusted Contributor

Mine is probably 15-20 years old.  It's a store brand that doesn't exist anymore.  LOL

But you know, simple things like toasters, heating pads, hair dryers, coffee pots...  they seem to last a long time for me.  When they have a lot of bells and whistles, it breaks fairly young.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I got a new one from QVC when it was on lunchtime special.  Nice soft cloth cover.  My old ones were plastic, very hard until you heat them.  The covers were long gone.  I swear by heat when I get the occasional back ache by lifting too much.

Esteemed Contributor

Heat is a very good source for easing inflammation.  It opens up the blood vessels to assist in blood flow therefore helping to relax the sore area.  My chiropractor has me using one daily for my bursitis.   I have a Sunbeam one that I bought on the Q about 10-12 years ago.  Before that mine was around 30 years old, it was still functioning properly so my daughter has it now.

@ECBG Hope you feel better soon!

Honored Contributor

I go through ast least 3 a year but would never keep an  unused one around as long as some are saying because they dry out an are a fire hazard!  Heat is the best for stiff joints.  I need to use it for a shoulder injury I had a few years ago.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@Desertdi wrote:

If I could find it, probably about 40 years old.   I live in Phoenix...the very thought of "extra heat" is not desirable (!!)

@Desertdi 

Me, either.   Haven't had a heating pad in years.

The idea of putting heat on something that is inflamed seems .....  counter-intuitive to me.

For pain or pulled muscles, I use Salon Pas lidocaine roll on or cream.

That is what Salon Pas and lidocaine do - heating up the inflamed area!

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

@ECBG My old Sunbeam was 40 years old when it bit the dust last year!  I bought a new regular one, and then after sustaining a wrist injury, did some research and discovered that far infrared heating pads are the way to go to help healing.  I bought a Pure Enrichment universal wrap on Amazon and love it as it can be wrapped around various parts of the body or used flat.

I also bought a heating pad designed as a pocket for warming the feet!  You will have to pry that thing off my cold dead feet, as it may be the best thing I've ever bought, as my feet are ALWAYS cold.

At this point, I am heating pad poor.  lol

@Ainhisg I looked these up on Amazon and the biggest complaint was that it doesn't get very hot/warm.  Did you find that to be the case with yours?  Infrared sounds like it would be a good thing to try, but having it be hot is also desirable, too. TIA

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!