Honored Contributor

I had been taking Nexium OTC for a year and a half for GERD. Even though my doctor said it was ok to take it forever if it helped, I wanted to get off it. I read where people who were suffering from GERD and severe heart burn were having good results controlling their symptoms with Andrew Lessmans  Aloe Vera 400 and the Ultimate Friendly Flora. I have been taking 1 Aloe Vera and 1 UFF which is a probiotic twice a day with a meal for 2 weeks and I only had break through reflux and heartburn once during that period. Even when I was taking Nexium I had to be careful how much and what I ate or I would get break through reflux and heartburn. I'm hopeful  that these supplements will continue to work for me, I still drink  beer and have a glass of wine when I socialize and no heartburn,so fingers crossed.

Honored Contributor

Interesting.  I'll have to read up on the aloe vera.

Esteemed Contributor

Glad to hear you've been able to get by without a med. I have been on prescription Nexium for many years now. Most take one 40mg capsule per day, I have to take 2 per day.

I have GERD/Inflamed Esophagus/Hiatal Hernia, and worst of all, Barretts Esophagus(precursor to Esophageal Cancer).

Many Endo's over the years for that reason. Every 3 months for a year/every 6 months for 3 years, and then as now, yearly.

Always good to be able to safely quit taking meds. Good for you if this does the trick, but I still, personally would have an Endoscopy at some time, to make sure nothing is amiss with your Esophagus.

My best to you

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

I'm going to try this.  I used to be able to eat anything without a problem.  But then I had a health scare and ended up having radiation therapy directed to the middle of my chest.  So for the past 20 years, I have been in misery with heartburn.  Nexium used to help but it doesn't work anymore.  Thanks for the information.  Gail

~~66 and owned by cats and dogs.~~
Honored Contributor

I was on Prilosec for over 20 years and wanted to get off due to possible long-term side-effects.  My doctor prescribed ranitidine which is the generic of one of the acid reducers, maybe Zantac(?).  It has worked out well for me; almost as well as the Prilosec.  I still eat pretty much what I want, just not so much green chili.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@blackhole99

If you haven't been on this site before, please check it out.

http://www.ecan.org/site/PageServer?pagename=FactsHeartburn#index1 

Honored Contributor

Re: How I got off Nexium

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was on Prilosec for over 20 years and wanted to get off due to possible long-term side-effects.  My doctor prescribed ranitidine which is the generic of one of the acid reducers, maybe Zantac(?).  It has worked out well for me; almost as well as the Prilosec.  I still eat pretty much what I want, just not so much green chili.

Yes; it's the generic for Zantac.

Zantac/Tagamet/other are "H2 blockers", Nexium/Protonix/other are "proton pump inhibitors".

Some who have worsening GERD overnight (no matter what they do, including raising the head of the bed up at least 5") are prescribed 300 mg. at bedtime, and it does help.

But like John said and depending on how severe any chonic health condition is, the lesser of two evils is taking RX med(s) daily (sometimes twice daily), and getting regular tests to keep an eye on things.

Holistic lifestyle changes and treatments do often help, and can sometimes replace Western medicine, like you've been fortunate to experience.

BTW, I speak from decades of personal experience with many daily health challenges (as I like to call them).