Honored Contributor

Re: How Do You Deal With Food Cravings?

[ Edited ]

I posted this fairly recently in another thread.  I think you have to know what type of person you are.

I have come to realize that I am not an "everything in moderation" person.  I just cannot have it.  Because if I want chocolate, I won't just eat a bite size piece.  I'll eat 5.  I won't eat one oreo, I'll eat the sleeve.  I have to completely eliminate certain trigger foods from my diet.  Even if I decide I'll only eat certain foods if we go out to eat, eating that food at all sends me on a bender, like an alcoholic trying to have 1 drink.

Once I get the craving out of my system, I'm good and then I don't want the food.  But until that happens, it can be pretty miserable.  I just had to stick it out.   

However, I flat refuse to eat things I don't like just for the sake of eating them.  I detest whole wheat bread, pasta, etc.  I will not eat it.  I'm not going to try anymore.  I would rather have no bread than have whole wheat bread. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I want and need to get my cholesterol numbers down, so I am trying to eat healthier.

For example, yesterday I had a bowl of steel-cut oatmeal, one apple, 23 roasted un-salted almonds, veggie platter, a smoothie made with soy milk, two slices of high fiber toast with vegan margarine.

I am finding myself not feeling satisfied after eating. I am craving the foods that I know are not good for me, such as hash browns, french fries, hamburgers, cheddar cheese, cream cheese, pancakes, real butter, steak.

I really want to get my numbers down, but I also want to eat.

I'm trying to be good and do the right thing, but it's hard.

How do you deal with food cravings when you want to be healthier?

@Plaid Pants2  You seem to need more protein.  I would strongly suggest you get a recommendation from your PCP for some sessions with a qualified nutritionist.

If your cholesterol was high, your PCP should have given you some guidance.

Once you are on a steady course you will find cravings diminishing.  It takes time.

You can do this.

I agree, more protein is needed. It fuels your system and keeps you filled! I drink Premier protein shakes (30 grams of protein, very little fat and sugar)  every day- if you're making a smoothie, add plain greek yogurt to the mix.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Plaid Pants2

I am addressing the title of your thread. For me what has worked for many decades is to not divide what and when I eat into the "normal(?)" 3 meals a day. I eat throughout the day paying no attention to the time of day or how many times I have eaten. Have heard it called "grazing" by many.

Been a lacto-ovo vegetarian since the mid 1970's, but I am not advocating that should be what you should do. For me, doing that was a good thing, not only for my lipid numbers, but also for eating healthier and foods based on nutrition I think my body needs. Also discovered what foods are the best fuel for my athletic type of lifestyle.

I had co-workers that felt every time their stomach "growled" they needed to feed it. They often asked me what to do, I would tell them what I do, and the usual response was:" I can't do that". Said that I drink water because we worked in a 100°+ factory, and water, or a healthy fluid was needed much more than food. And most of these men were way overweight.

Now I really don't get "cravings" per sae', sure I feel like eating a certain type of food or food group, but never where I feel "I have to have a/some XYZ". 

Eating lower fat foods helps most bring their lipid numbers into a better range, but not everyone. Up pops the "oh so friendly, genetic predisposition". For those more and bigger measure must be looked at by their doctors and themselves. Maybe even a Nutritionist or Registered Dietitian may be more helpful.

Most can not consider this as a "temporary thing", but understand it has to be the way they continue to eat, and throwing in some "heart rate elevating exercise" is never a bad thing, but one should always get an ok from their doctor(s).

This is what has and is still working for me, and I haven't had total cholesterol numbers over 200 in decades, including long before after my 2 heart attacks. I have been taking 20mg. of Lipitor(Atorvastatin) by the advice of my Cardiologist, and I have had zero side effects.

I am not suggesting statins, I am leveling with you so you know my whole story. If you can avoid any type of medication you should do so.

Best to you in this quest,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Plaid Pants2 wrote:

I want and need to get my cholesterol numbers down, so I am trying to eat healthier.

For example, yesterday I had a bowl of steel-cut oatmeal, one apple, 23 roasted un-salted almonds, veggie platter, a smoothie made with soy milk, two slices of high fiber toast with vegan margarine.

I am finding myself not feeling satisfied after eating. 

Just to clarify - you ate all of the above for one meal (breakfast)? I would seriously only be able to eat half that before I felt stuffed.

Feeling psychologically hungry for the foods we want, when we know we shouldn't have them as often as we have been, is different than physical hunger. I think most people can relate to that feeling. It's not easy - it's the hardest part of changing a diet IMO - not eating what we want to eat, everything else aside.

Eat, and no matter how you think you feel after eating, wait an hour before you decide you're not "full." It's more likely that you're not physically hungry, but emotionally, we want what we want. That's harder.  

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I love food and have high cholesterol too. The best way for me to not crave no no foods is to eat what I want, but only a third of what I would like to eat. I cannot stay on a Cardiac diet for any length of time and soy is a cholesterol elevator for me. I told my doctor if I have to eat a Cardiac diet I might as well be dead and I'm not kidding.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I get a craving it's usually for something with a lot of carbs in it...like bread or chips. So I simply quit buying those items altogether. Now I reach for a glass of water and start moving, lift weights or something physical. When you build muscle you burn calories just sitting. When calories are burned then your cholesterol will naturally go down, too.

If I find myself eating too much or eating bad foods then it means more walks around the block. Keeping a food diary and portion control is key for me as well.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@blackhole99 wrote:

"I told my doctor if I have to eat a Cardiac diet I might as well be dead and I'm not kidding."

@blackhole99

Really? If you really "I'm not kidding"?  Guess my total life was/is more important to me than food, other than what I need to live my type of lifestyle.

Lost count of the number of men, in my 72 Cardiac Rehab Classes that said close to the same thing. My guess was some of those men might not be enjoying the life they had chosen to live, but who knows.

Food IS important to me, but only in the sense it gives  me the nutrition that I want and need. It is even more important in my later years what I eat, in respect to being able to keep pursuing my athletic type lifestyle.

"To each be their own"!  I sure hope you WERE/ARE kidding.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

When I get a craving it's usually for something with a lot of carbs in it...like bread or chips. So I simply quit buying those items altogether. Now I reach for a glass of water and start moving, lift weights or something physical. When you build muscle you burn calories just sitting. When calories are burned then your cholesterol will naturally go down, too.

If I find myself eating too much or eating bad foods then it means more walks around the block. Keeping a food diary and portion control is key for me as well.

@SilleeMee

Yes/Yes/Yes!  I absolutely love your post along with the fact that you do it. Good for you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

You can do it @Plaid Pants2. I liked the advice to make small changes.

Honored Contributor

You need to eat a balanced diet.  I eat everything I want ... just not a lot of it.  A "treat" now and then won't hurt.  

See if you can get your doctor to recommend a dietician for you.