Trusted Contributor

finding a good Psychologist

[ Edited ]

In the past 24 years I have seen 2 different Psychologist at different times....one for a full year in "93"  and the other for less than a year,  I really liked the 2nd but she dropped all insurances and was too expensive for me to pay full price.  Smiley Sad    The 1st one I did see for a year but never felt that my issues were being addressed or helped. Plus other problems I won't go into  here. 

How does one go about finding one that your feel very comfortable with,  saying stuff that needs to be discussed but not comfortable talking about them....

I wish they had something like the dating,  where you spend an hour with them and then if it's a no move on to another...

Honored Contributor

Re: finding a good Psychologist

@mishka14 wrote:

In the past 24 years I have seen 2 different Psychologist at different times....one for a full year in "93"  and the other for less than a year,  I really liked the 2nd but she dropped all insurances and was too expensive for me to pay full price.  Smiley Sad    The 1st one I did see for a year but never felt that my issues were being addressed or helped. Plus other problems I won't go into  here. 

How does one go about finding one that your feel very comfortable with,  saying stuff that need to be discussed but not comfortable talking about them....

I wish they had something like the dating,  where you spend an hour with them and then if it's a no move on to another...

Have you ever considered group therapy?

Honored Contributor

@mishka14 wrote:

How does one go about finding one that your feel very comfortable with,  saying stuff that needs to be discussed but not comfortable talking about them....

Actually, they do have something like "dating" where you spend an hour or 50 minutes with them.  It's called a consultation.  A person must have a good relationship with a therapist or nothing can be accomplished.  Honestly, I never heard of a person didn't consult with several therapists before choosing one and even after that, professionals advise that if after a year of therapy, YOU feel your needs are not being addressed or you haven't improved....it's time find another therapist.  Of course, there are requirements and that should be your guide.  For example, I know that if I wanted a therapist I would want a woman and woman in my age group.  I would want a psychiatrist and not psychologist.  So, I would only consult with therapists who met my criteria.  I'd have consultations with 3 and settle on one of the three.  

Respected Contributor

I know that the only way I am going to fix my compulsive eating

problem is through therapy .. Unfortunatley I can't afford it ....

Honored Contributor

@mishka14
Your idea is a great one!
Someone could make a million bucks with an app for matching psychologists to potential patients.
I wish you well in your search.
Does your insurance have a behavioral health number on the back of your card? That would be a good starting place, I would think.
~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Trusted Contributor

I don't know if you can do this but maybe it can work for you.  When I needed a new therapist, I called my insurance company.  They sent me a list of therapists in my zip code area that used my insurance.  I then went down the list and checked their ratings (reviews) on line.  The top ones I called to see which one I could get an appointment the soonest..

Best of luck to you.  It is difficult to find a new doctor/therapist.  But so worth it if you can find a really good one.

Honored Contributor

Its like establishing any relationship... trial and error to see if you click. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Word of mouth recommendations, medical md recommendations, consultations.  

My my own experience in finding good therapists has not been positive, finding a good psychiatrist is even more challenging, and I live in NYC the home of many.

Trusted Contributor

@mishka14,

Try asking your internist for a good psychologist recommendation

dee.