Trusted Contributor

Re: Hormone replacement therapy. What are your thoughts

Ladies,  Thank you all so much for your input!  I suppose in the end it is a personal choice and a decision to be made with one's doctor.  The concensus on the program was that there are huge benefits to HRT that far outweigh the risks but...  While it was stated that hormones do not cause cancer, they affect cancer cells which is why those who had cancer, especially breast, are cautioned against it.  However, I recall reading that Angelina Jolie is on HRT, so who knows what is best.  Again, a personal decision.  I think the problem is that there is so much mis-information that it is difficult to get to the real truth.  The fact that the medical community is generally ill-informed and worse yet, make decisions based on possible law suits, does not help us women!  They said that if men had to go through menopause it would have been researched to death with good solutions long ago!!  So true!

One other strong message was that even if you do not feel symptoms, things are happening to your body as a result of estrogen deficiency and damage is done.  One of the doctors suggested that HRT needs to be used as a preventative measure.

I do recommend the documentary if you get a chance to watch it. 

Thanks again for all your input and opinions.

Trusted Contributor

A former boss of mine went through an early menopause due to surgery.  She will be 60 this year and I do know at least for the last 5 years, she talked her doctor into giving her the least amount of HRT it took to control her symptoms. It's helped her and she said her quality of life outweighed the any health risk.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

I was thrown into menopause due to surgery in my mid-40's...a year later I became post menopausal. None of my doctors support HRT nor BHRT. I tried 4 GYN's (all women) and none support anything other than diet and exercise.

I got through it but the hot flashes.... wow. I still have them first thing in the morning but beyond that, I'm good.

I read the study and agree that it was a huge scare tactic. Funny thing, my primary care doc has no issues writing a Rx for it but he doesn't normally do it so he'd rather not. Ok, lol.

In the end, you have to do what you have to do for YOU.

Respected Contributor

What is discussed in that article is what my mother's doctor told her many years ago.  She took HRT from age 35 until she passed away in her 80's.  I hate it when studies come out like that.  It's so important to understand who is doing the study and why.  I get so sick of reading all the reversals on any given study.  We are all being played for fools, especially if any of our own money went toward the useless study.