Esteemed Contributor

Anyone have experience with HIVE? Seems my husband woke up and was covered.  We went to our dermathologist and he was diagnosed with it.  No idea where it came from.  He does not work in the yard. I am not a fancy cook trying all kinds of new ingredients. We rarely go out to dinner. Nothing stands out for how and where it happened.  Doctor has no idea either. And I might add I wash all clothes in safe detergent created for those who might have allergies.  

Trusted Contributor

@bonnielu Yup I get them if I take Ibuprophen or sulpha based medications.  I start sneezing like crazy and then the hives start...BIG RED ITCHY hives.  Could be anything.  First time it happened for the Sulpha based meds I knew that was the cause.  The second time I wasn't sure if it was the new dress I was wearing, the advil or something I ate.  But the next time I KNEW it was the Ibuprophen (Advil) since it was only a matter of minutes after I took it.  Trust me, he'll find out.  Might take another round of it.  They go away after whatever irritated you works it way out of your system.  But it sure is a royal pain when it happens. The first time for me was it started happening at a Christmas party.  Then another time I was going to a graduation.  I feel for him REALLY feel for him.  UGH.  

Respected Contributor

@bonnielu Sorry to hear about your husband's hives. Did he use a new body wash or lotion?  A popular sunscreen causes me to have a terrible rash everywhere it touches. Could you have used a dryer sheet? Those will cause problems, too.

The best detergent for me is Cheer Free & Gentle. The other brands are not as free or as gentle for my skin. I react to them. 

I hope you determine the source so that it won't happen again. When my son was little, a dog licked his face causing a patch of hives all along the licked area. The source could be anything.

Honored Contributor

I've had a couple if outbreaks of hives over the years and was never able to determine a reason.  Fortunately there are medications that make quick work of them but you surely are miserable while they're going strong.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@bonnielu 

I had a terrible case of hives in Jan. 2019.  The absolute only thing different that I had used was Abreva, the cream for cold sores.  I never get cold sores, so had never used this before, but I thought that I might be getting one. 

I got hives on the 2nd day, and they just kept getting worse.  The hives ran together and made purple blotches, all itching and burning. I went to Urgent Care, then my Primary Care dr. and then a dermatologist over the course of about 3-4 days.  No relief from increasing doses of Prednisone.  Finally reached a high enough dose of Prednisone along with a topical cream that started to give me some relief. 

The derm took a skin sample and the lab verified that it was definitely an allergic reaction.  None of the medical people was familiar with anyone getting this kind of reaction to Abreva, but there was nothing else to blame it on.  It took about 3-4 weeks for my skin to get back to normal and was generally a horrible experience. 

I am also allergic to Sulfa drugs and got this same type of reaction, but it went away much faster. So now I stay away from Sulfa drugs and Abreva.  Ugh!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  OH that's for sure!!! Seriously miserable lol.  Loved my Aveeno baths.  The Benedryl puts me to sleep (which was a blessing as I finally stopped scratching for a short time). But boy are those things angry looking red blotches. Scratch one and another pops up somewhere else.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu Many years ago I was prescribed a sulfa drug and broke out in a vicious case of hives. I forget how it got resolved but it is in ALL of my med recs that I am severly allergic to sulfa and penicillin.

Respected Contributor

Hives can also be caused by stress. There was a period of my life where my legs would get covered in hives that would get so big that they would mesh together. Once I stopped having stress from a work situation, they gradually went away, but I dealt with them for several years. My sister gets them if she drinks out of plastic bottles.

Valued Contributor

@Love my grandkids @bonnielu @shoesnbags. Same here with sulpha and penicillin. Just a trace of sulpha and I am head to toe full of hives. Elastic clothing  at my waist gives me hives too.   Sometimes you never find out why you got them.  Benadryl I always have on hand. 

Hope your husband feels better! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Ainhisg wrote:

Hives can also be caused by stress. There was a period of my life where my legs would get covered in hives that would get so big that they would mesh together. Once I stopped having stress from a work situation, they gradually went away, but I dealt with them for several years. My sister gets them if she drinks out of plastic bottles.

@Ainhisg 

That's a good description of what my hives do - they mesh together!

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett