Esteemed Contributor

Interesting thing about my allergy to sulfa drugs - I had taken them several times over my lifetime with no problem.  But about 8 years ago I was put on a high dose for about 10 days along with other strong drugs for a serious MRSA infection.  On day 9, I woke up with the hives from Hell.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Super Contributor

My first bout. with severe hives was while on vacation in 2001. After trying topical Benadryl cream from a nearby drugstore, I suddenly sensed the world getting dark.  I sensed I was in trouble.  Fortunately, there was a tiny hospital a few blocks away, so my husband drove there ASAP.  I went to the head of the class as I was in full anaphylactic shock. (Blood pressure 60/30) (BTW...same cottage hospital that treated Michael Jackson a few weeks later).  Since then I carry an epi pen and lots of Benadryl. We never could discover the cause.  About twice a year I have the hives sensation coming on, so I have figured out that by taking 3 Benadryl immediately, it knocks the hives down and I don’t deteriorate.  So far so good.  Hives are a nuisance, and can be a sign of more serious things to come.

very interesting to read about some of your sulfa experiences.  I’ve been told that I’m allergic to sulfa since infancy, but none of my hive breakouts are associated with sulfa.  But it gives me something to think about.  And BTW, I have no known allergies except to sulfa.

Honored Contributor

I woke up covered in hives one Saturday morning when I was 16.  I had studied until midnight, and knew I had hours of studying ahead of me for the entire weekend.  Stress was presumed to be the cause.  

My oldest daughter had a very similar experience with hives during her first year in college, which we also thought was related to stress.   

Neither of us have experienced hives since.

Respected Contributor

I broke out in a rash starting on my legs from a Sulfa drug a few years ago also after taking it for about a week.  I went back to the doctor right away and he changed me to another medicine.  I had a similar reaction to another medication, Lorabid, years ago.  

The only other time I broke out in hives was when I tried a well known brand of Gluten free pizza.  I ate a piece and was on my kitchen to get a 2nd slice when I started throwing up.  I then broke out in hives all over my body.  I took a zyrtec I had on hand and they had gone away by the next morning, but it was scary.  The only ingrediant it contained that I didn't eat regularly was sunflower seed meal so I assume that was what did it.  

It could be anything that has touched your husband's skin.  My dad had a reaction to a detergent once but since you are using allergy free one that probably isn't it.  Has he used anything different?  Soap, lotion, etc.   I also had an itchy reaction from a shampoo before. 

Esteemed Contributor

Did he just get the booster shot? Skin eruptions is a biggie for side effects. My friend has a horrible rash on her neck that was evident for weeks. It was a form of dermatitis....likely from the shot. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, Booster but in December.   I was totally decimated by the Booster and the vaccine for that matter.  Let me tell  1.possible stroke 2. Melanoma on Arm 3. Basal cell on face  4. sudden hearing loss with Tinnitiis (no cure)  I did report all of this.  Big deal no one paid attention.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks everyone. Only thing I can think of is the spraying done for insects a week or so ago, but only outside.  He is on NO drugs of anykind.  He is a health nut, exercises daily and eats extremely well. He can wear his wedding suit after 56 years of marriage.  Strange.  I don't change food choices, we rarely go out to eat.  No visitors lately.  Nothing different.  Crazy beyond words.  Mystery