Esteemed Contributor

@bargainsgirl 

Happy to hear things seem to be going well for you 1 week out. As a proponent of the recliner, since my sleeping in one for decades, I am really glad it has worked for you. Now that you know how well it works for you, maybe!!

A week ago Sunday I met a man that played hockey with many players I know, and I still see at the rink occasionally. I then remember meeting him, I believe last September. Back then he told me he was having both hips replaced, 1 month apart.

That particular Sunday was his 1st time trying to skate again post his 2 surgeries. Asked him if he wanted me close by as, a just in case, he said nope. He got to skating and with each loop of the rink, I could see his skating getting better and stronger.

He was there again this last Sunday to skate. I asked him about the after effects of the prior Sunday. He said he was pretty sore for about 3 days, but mostly an athletic type of "good sore".

Over the months he had done vigorous types of Physical Therapy, both at home, and at the facility. As he got better he worked harder because he was determined to get back on ice skates, and possibly back to playing again. He is 62, which to me is young, but to be able to accomplish this in only 5-6 months, to me is amazing.

Wish you the same continued improvement that you have had in your 1st week post surgery. Keep optimistic and doing the necessary steps, and I have no doubt all will go well getting to your full recovery.

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Yes it was discussed but my surgeon prefers the posterior.  He has done both.  With anterior you don't need to worry about the 3 NO'S : bending over 90, twisting and crossing legs.  But I can deal with that. I've been lucky and have not had any real discomfort.  6 days out and I am only taking Tylenol as needed. Hopefully I won't need the other hip done!

Esteemed Contributor

Lovely recovery.  Nice that you can move about.

Super Contributor

lovestoshop. I needed both hips replaced. Due to bulging and herniated discs, I can't sleep on my back. A recliner has been mentioned as a possibility. My back issue is lower back. I am not sure how a recliner will help. I don't have a recliner. Where did you rent one and is it expensive? I am very apprehensive about this procedure because of my back problems and I live alone. 

Esteemed Contributor

@texassunflower wrote:

lovestoshop. I needed both hips replaced. Due to bulging and herniated discs, I can't sleep on my back. A recliner has been mentioned as a possibility. My back issue is lower back. I am not sure how a recliner will help. I don't have a recliner. Where did you rent one and is it expensive? I am very apprehensive about this procedure because of my back problems and I live alone. 

@texassunflower 

What has the doctor, that ordered your MRI, said to you about what should be done to help you, to eliminate or help your Lumbar Disc issues?

You said "I needed both hips replaced". Does that mean you have had those 2 surgeries? Sorry, but I am a little uncertain about what you are saying in your post.

I can't relate to your hip issues, but!  As far as your Lumbar Discs? I have had 2 back surgeries. The 1st one was to remove my ruptured L-5 and S-1 Lumbar Discs. The 2nd surgery was to remove my ruptured L-3 Lumbar Disc.

That was the action taken to allow me to live my normal very active life, now into my 80's. Surgery is not for everyone, but what has been done to help you?

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl    Good to hear you are on the mend!  and you will be sad to give up your recliner when the rental period is up!

@hckynutjohn      very interested to hear abut your friend with hip replacements! 

i would love to try rollerblading again. it has been years and years since i skated (blades and ice)   i'm 18 months out from my THR and everyone tells me don't do it, don't ride your bike, don't go in the ocean. i have had C-Spine surgery, and 2 Lumbar spine. (lol i have been sliced and diced) 

i have a big divet on the posterior from my surgery so i avoid the beach

i don't nearly have the strength and endurance i used have 20 yrs ago. i could easily skate 20 miles after leaving work in the spring/summer.  i miss it.

Esteemed Contributor

@CatsyCline wrote:

@bargainsgirl    Good to hear you are on the mend!  and you will be sad to give up your recliner when the rental period is up!

@hckynutjohn      very interested to hear abut your friend with hip replacements! 

i would love to try rollerblading again. it has been years and years since i skated (blades and ice)   i'm 18 months out from my THR and everyone tells me don't do it, don't ride your bike, don't go in the ocean. i have had C-Spine surgery, and 2 Lumbar spine. (lol i have been sliced and diced) 

i have a big divet on the posterior from my surgery so i avoid the beach

i don't nearly have the strength and endurance i used have 20 yrs ago. i could easily skate 20 miles after leaving work in the spring/summer.  i miss it.

@CatsyCline 

Here is a little I can add about my friend and his ice skating. He has put in months of hard work. He told me after a few weeks of PT walking, some up a ramp incline, and at some point, up and down stairs.

His Physical Therapist had him also work on his balance using several different methods. Think he said he went to 6 PT sessions, after each surgery. From there he used his home equipment. First working on range of motion with each hip. 

Now he did have the surgeries 1 month apart, so the 1st hip was that much more advanced in his recovery. Most of his balance exercises were with 1 leg at a time, with some on different apparatus at PT.

From there he worked on strengthening the muscles around the hips and the quad muscles that are the most prevalent in supporting the body. He also put in Cardio exercises going a little bit longer as he progressed.

As an athlete, I had to learn, "what I used to do, meant nothing". When starting from scratch with my recoveries, my focus was always on getting stronger, with my Cardio Fitness/Strength and flexibilty. I had my goals, but set no time table as to when I would have enough Cardio and strength to be able to skate for long periods of time.

My friend is using the same philosophy in his return to skating. Each time he skates, he told me he will try to increase the time by a few minutes each session. After his first time skating, he said he was pretty sore. He decided to wait a week before he skated again. He used that time to do work at home on other aspects of his recovery.

Think he is skating on different days at a different rink now. I skate at the same rink because I know everyone there, and I can skate free because I am over 75. My friend is 62, I think, not old enough for free and I think he lives closer to another rink.

Won't get into the "should you are shouldn't you"! I have all my original joints so that is not something of concern. I tell everyone that asks me, "if you skate often, you will fall", that's just the way it is with ice skating. Regardless of skill levels, in hockey or figure skating, you are going to fall if you skate a lot.

Do what you feel is right for you. Best to you with everything,

hckynut   🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Re: Hip replacement update

[ Edited ]

@texassunflower wrote:

I know nothing about herniated and bulging discs, but I had bilateral hip replacement and recovered at home, with my husband helping-shopping, food, ice packs, etc.  Recovery was incredibly easy!  A physical therapist came to the house as did a visiting nurse for a brief period of time.  However, others go to rehab where they are fully taken care of.  Most importantly is the best surgeon, hospital and rehab. A bad gait due to bad hips caused pain in my knee and lower back.  So I hastened to have hip surgery and everything cleared up-no hip, back or knee pain.  Perhaps you would qualify for an aide to help. Your orthopedic surgeon will answer all of your questions.