Honored Contributor

Re: Hip Replacement Recovery?

Not the answers I expected. I thought you would be told it is horrific pain. Sounds like hip recovery is much easier than when knees are replaced.

Valued Contributor

In 2013, my husband had both knees and his hip replacement surgery in 9 months! He did so well, followed his docs instructions, did his P T and is pain free and doing great.
Trusted Contributor

My husband had anterior medthod of hip replacement 2 years ago. He is in early 50 and very fit ( bikes 50 miles, runs, strength trains etc). He did have some pain the first two weeks and was in the hospital for 3-4 days. When he returned home he was walking around outside with just a cane. He returned to work in 12 weeks. He is back to biking 50 mikes and all his usual exercise except running. Our doctor advised against running but walking several miles a day is fine.
Contributor

I just had mine done 6 weeks ago. For me, it's been a journey. My two critical pieces of information are pain management and take everything to avoid constipation. I am a bone smart member too. Those folks saved my sanity. Smiley Happy
Regular Contributor

@nomless wrote:
I've had both hips replaced, one at a time. Recovery was very easy. I was up walking the next day with the assistance of a walker. I was back at work three weeks later. Pain from surgery was minimal. It was such a relief that hip pain was gone. It was done 8 years ago, no problems since. Best wishes to you.

I agree with nomless. My experience was similar, except I had only one hip done with the anterior approach. I even went hame after  4 days with my DD helping for 3 more days. After that I was there alone. Before the surgery I did prepare some meals I could microwave and I was able to be on one floor for about 10 days. Pain releaver was prescribed, as needed, for one week. When I had my 2 week follow-up appointment I drove myself. You'll be so glad you did it.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia.....Everyone's experience is different.   I am just three days out( july 6th) from am Anterior right hip replacement. I was only in hospital for 24 hours.. just overnight... and went home the next day.  I am stiff, but getting about in the house with just one crutch.  Anterior is less evasive and you will be up and about much faster than with Posterior hip replacement.Posterior has a larger/longer wound and it is on the behind rather than on the front of the thigh with Anterior.. My wound area is only 2 inches long.

Most important thing is to rest  the first couple of weeks, and just focus on  healing. Do not do too much... eat  well, and take your pain meds as prescribed.  You must keep ahead of the pain. Are you having Anterior hip replacement? 

This is my second hip replacement. I had my left done about a year ago anterior and it has healed beautifully!   The first few days are at most just difficult. This is MAJOR SURGERY and your poor body sees it as a bad injury. Once the healing kicks in in a week or two... you will start to feel much better everyday.  Best wishes to you  sweetbay! It is all so worth it when you are walking without pain and discomfort and you can go back to your life again and do those things you love to do... just putting on a sock again is such a blessing! Take best of care!