Super Contributor

A friend is having sugery today - how is the recovery for this type of eye surgery...

Super Contributor

It all depends on the procedure being done, where the break/detachment is, and quite honestly, the health and attitude of the individual in question. I had a pneumatic retinoplexy (cold laser) with gas bubble repair done in the physician's office and merely had to keep my head tilted to one side for 3 days. While the repair was deemed as "success", there were some complications that led to me having a vitrectomey with gas bubble placement about 3 weeks later. That was done as outpatient surgery at the hospital. Following that, I had to maintain a "face down" postion at all times except for 3, 15 minute breaks per day, for twelve days. I rented equipment to help out with this, and your friend should've received info from their physician if this is something they need. It's not fun, and it can be very difficult for people who have back and neck problems, but if you don't do it, you won't heal properly. I watched TV with a special mirror, listened to books on tape, and went for walks in my neighborhood with a friend to pass the time. I had a large group of friends who brought me meals in disposable containers to help with meal prep, and another friend who gave me a couple of awesome back & neck massages. I never had any surgical pain, but maintaining the face down position was tough on my neck and shoulders. 

Frequent Contributor

Six months ago I have a retinal detachment macula off.  I had a sclera buckle and viterctomy with gas bubble. The first few days were quite painful and I had a lot of bruising and swelling because of the buckle. I had to maintain a face down position for seven days. The purpose of face down positioning is to keep the bubble in place so the retina can reattach. The face down position was very uncomfortable, very. I rented the chair and other equipment and would not have been able to stay face down without it. I only left the house for doctor appointments and my husband stayed home to help me. It is extremely important to stay in position or the retina will not heal properly. It is also important to take all eye drops as scheduled to prevent infection, to reduce eye pressure, and reduce retinal inflammation. Honestly, I hated the recovery process and was miserable. But it was so worth it. Prior to surgery I had lost all vision in my right eye, complete total blackness. A week after surgery, I could see, but not great. Four months after retinal surgery, I had cataract surgery and now my vision is better than ever. For the first time I do not need glasses. I wish your friend well for a successful recovery.