Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624  I'm with you. I like group immunity much better. I'm also sick of the term " social distancing". Also, " shots in arms." I guess there is another place they can go, but I'm sick of that. I've been trying to get a shot in my arm for weeks. Nothing should be this hard. Rant over.LOL

Honored Contributor

The term is certainly easier to say than community immunity.  😏

Honored Contributor

The words herd immunity has it's origins in the cattle industry where vets were dealing with a form of contagious abortions back in the early 1900s. Veterinarian George Potter used the phrase to describe the phenomenon of herd immunity in cattle and sheep in his journal writings.

Honored Contributor

I'm also sick of news reports showing needles going into arms.  I have a problem with needles and spend half the newscasts with my eyes closed.  Why is this necessary?  Many people are squeamish about this.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@rms1954 Agree - although this is the first time I've heard - herd immunity -used for current situation.  Guess I've tuned out Dr. F and the rest of the 'good' doctors.

Esteemed Contributor

Might be disrespectful to cows. Cows are much more rational than many humans' behaviors  we have seen in the last 12 months. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

The words herd immunity has it's origins in the cattle industry where vets were dealing with a form of contagious abortions back in the early 1900s. Veterinarian George Potter used the phrase to describe the phenomenon of herd immunity in cattle and sheep in his journal writings.

@SilleeMee. I'd surmised it was something like that but we're not cattle.

Trusted Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Might be disrespectful to cows. Cows are much more rational than many humans' behaviors  we have seen in the last 12 months. 

Has to be one of the best comments.  So true. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Herd Immunity

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

@rms1954 Agree - although this is the first time I've heard - herd immunity -used for current situation.  Guess I've tuned out Dr. F and the rest of the 'good' doctors.

@fthunt.  You haven't been listening.  I bet I've heard  it a thousand times and yes, I've heard Dr. Fauci use it.

Respected Contributor

It's a scientific term coined in the 1920's To help people understand the concept:

Herd immunity describes the point at which a population is sufficiently immune to a disease to prevent its circulation.

Researchers at the University of Manchester first coined the term in 1923, to describe how an entire herd of animal subjects (in that case, mice) could become immune to a disease even though not every member of the herd had been immunized.

Widespread vaccination is the most reliable way to achieve herd immunity. "The whole concept of herd immunity arose from the question: How many people do you need to vaccinate in a population to eradicate a disease," said Paul Hunter, a professor at the University of East Anglia in the United Kingdom and a member of the World Health Organization's infection prevention committee.