Trusted Contributor

Hearing aids? Anyone have any recommendations?

Someone has asked me to do some research on hearing aids to find one that will work. I have not been able to find anything that compares and reviews. All I have found are brochures from the makers. I am looking for information from users of the products. 

Anyone have any personal experience?

Thanks

Respected Contributor

Re: Hearing aids? Anyone have any recommendations?

The type and severity of hearing loss matters.  I suggest going to an audiologist for an evaluation of the problem and recommendations re: what aids would be suitable.  Then you can compare those.  

Honored Contributor

I went to a Audiologist and she gave me hearing tests. She fitted me with a ReSound hearing aid. It was wonderful BUT $$$$$.

So I went to an ENT Doctor and was retested. She said to try Costco for hearing aides. So I bought 2 hearing aides at Costco. The price for the 2 were far less than the one ReSound.  

The Costco ones are OK. But not nearly as good as my first hearing aide.

So my next set I am going back to the Audiologist. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

My only recommendation is to always get a second opinion.

We have had several friends and  family members who were told they needed thousands of dollars worth of hearing aids, only to go to an ENT and told not so.  

I have become suspicious and leery of anyone who sells hearing aids.

Trusted Contributor

@Abrowneyegirl---I agree.  You need a second opinion.  My Mom has $$$ hearing aids and still can't hear.  She went back for "adjustment" and was told they are perfect.  Not so perfect.----tedEbear

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@debcakes

I've been wearing hearing aids for several years. First of all, it's imperative that you go to a qualified, board certified audiologist and not one of those hearing centers that only have technicians who are nothing more than sales people. Your audiologist will run a specialized hearing test on you to determine the kind of loss you have. From there you have a choice of the style of aid to choose. Get the absolute best aid(s) available for your particular loss that you can manage within your budget. You don't need to overbuy, but be sure not to under buy. Unfortunately, hearing aids aren't something that will last forever. Technololgy changes and the do need to be replaced from time to time.

You can get aids that are completely in the ear and unable to be detected by anyone or the over-the-ear style that has the works sitting on top, behind the ear with the speaker end that's on a little tube that sits in the ear. I've worn both. My first pair was the totally in the canal type. They caused me so much aggravation that I had them out more than I had them in. It seemed that I could "seat" them just fine when I first put them in, but I was forever adjusting them all throughout the day because they would slip out of place when I'd talk, swallow, yawn, chew. They were also a hard plastic which wasn't terribly comfortable - got a little surface irritation in my ear and the rubbing on a bone in the canal made it feel bruised. The fit of the aids was fine, but my audiologist explained that my ear canal does a weird turn inside which probably interfered with the aids staying put....something that can't really be detected in advance. After struggling with them for 2-3 yrs. and pretty much giving up on wearing them, I decided to get the behind-the-ear style. I'm currently wearing a Widex Dream 330 in each ear and I LOVE them, but the cost was about $5,000 for the pair. They work beautifully, remove background noise, have better amplification without sounding tinny or echo-y. Something in the technology helps them to detect the hearing situation and make automatic adjustments whether it's in person conversation, talking on the phone, watching TV at home, or watching a movie at the theater. They also help with my tinnitus and can be adjusted as my hearing changes.

Our son has a hearing loss, but doesn't have insurance to cover aids and can't afford what his audiologist is recommending.  He's looked into aids from Costco and they seem to be pretty good.  Costco has both a technician and an audiologist in their Hearing Center so he is planning to schedule his appointment with the audiologist and then follow through with purchasing his aids at Costco, which will be quite a significant savings.  I'm not opposed to getting them from Costco the next time around for myself.

When you first start wearing the aids, your ears will likely feel more itchy than usual. That's normal. To help with this, you always want to keep your aids clean and make sure your ears are dry before you put the aids in. You can get a product called Eargene that you can carefully swab in the ear...just make it part of your morning routine, like brushing your teeth.

Also, to protect your investment, it's very important for you to use something called a "drying box". I like the one called "Dry and Store" from Global II - I think it's much better than the plastic container with the silica gel thing that gets put in the oven every so often (your doctor can explain or I will, if you want me to). When you remove your aids at night, take out the batteries and put the aids in the drying box. The drying box has a dessicant block, which gets replaced every three months, that will draw out the moisture overnight. You want the circuitry dry to keep it working properly. You can probably get a drying box through your audiologist, but you might find it cheaper through Amazon. It's about $100. Replacement blocks are not terribly expensive.

Feel free to ask any questions if you need me to clarify anything or if there's something I haven't covered.

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla wrote:

I went to a Audiologist and she gave me hearing tests. She fitted me with a ReSound hearing aid. It was wonderful BUT $$$$$.

So I went to an ENT Doctor and was retested. She said to try Costco for hearing aides. So I bought 2 hearing aides at Costco. The price for the 2 were far less than the one ReSound.  

The Costco ones are OK. But not nearly as good as my first hearing aide.

So my next set I am going back to the Audiologist. 

@drizzellla  In what way don't your Costco aids measure up?  I've heard good reviews and have an adult child planning to get some there.  Were yours a name brand sold through Costco or were they the Kirkland brand?

Honored Contributor

The hearings aides from Costco squeal - at times, Especially when someone hugs you. Most people have a shocked look on their face as they step back because they can hear the squeal. And often when I am brushing my hair or have my hand near the hearing aide. People  I work with, are used to my squealing.

Second,  the sound heard through the hearing aides are not as clear. I often have to ask people to repeat what they said. I hear some of the words but not all of them. Especially, if someone is in another room or not facing me. It is tough sometimes to understand everything that was said. 

In fact the first day I got the hearing aides from Costco was horrible. I was used to my first hearing aide and the Audiologist from Costco spent considerable time fitting my hearing aides and getting the setting right. It was late in the afternoon and I was starving - I missed breakfast and lunch. I pulled into a McDonalds drive through so I could get something fast. I had no idea what was being said when I pulled up to the drive through. I asked 3 times for the woman to repeat what she said. She was trying so hard. I still had no idea what was being said. I immediately drove back to Costco. And he tried to adjustment them but it has become something I have to live with.

Don't get me wrong. I don't know had bad the hearing loss you are asking about. Mine is not bad - I have tinnitus. And believe me getting Costco hearing aides are a help. I can't help but think the model they sell is not top of the line and quality might be lacking. But it is far better than not using them

Honored Contributor

They were the Kirkland brand. But I forgot the Company that made them. Kirkland subcontracts the maker of the Kirkland brand. Every year they put the bid out. So different years are different manufacturers depending who wins the bid.

Honored Contributor

I was thinking. I think my first hearing aide was a top of the line model. So it is like buying a Cadillac. Then the Kirkland brand was probably a mid range model. Like a Malibu. A Malibu will get you from Point A to Point B just as well as a Cadillac. But they are some features you might miss after having a Cadillac.

It is harder sometimes to downgrade. That is what I am trying to say.