Super Contributor

Please Everyone keep fingers crossed "Unexplained 25 lb. Weight Loss"

[ Edited ]

Our Son- inlaw has lost 25 lbs in the last I want to say couple of months?

I was just told about this yesterday, and had not noticed, but he wears

big sweatshirts, so would have been hard to notice.

I am hoping it is his thyroid..... or?

It is a lot of weight to lose, he is about 5'6 and his normal weight would

have been about 165 ?

Has anyone else ever heard of losing weight like this tied to thyroid or ???

Also...... any kind of testing that should be done first that anyone knows of?

Just in case?   Please everyone...... think positive thoughts for him today.

Thank you !!!

He has a Doctors Appointment Today !  I will keep you posted ~

Contributor

Re: Please Everyone keep fingers crossed "Unexplained 25 lb. Weight Loss"

That happened to me, 16 pounds in 16 days for no reason, it was diabetes.  Good luck and prayers.

Honored Contributor

I assume he is not trying to lose the weight. His doctor should check him as this can be a sign of other things. Happened to my best friend and her doctor just let it go unchecked.

Super Contributor

Thank you for your post........ we are hoping for the Best !   I6 lbs in 16 days....

it is nice to hear of anyone with these types of symptoms and to know what the

diagnosis was...... it is my hopes it is something like that...... and treatable !

@Noreen wrote:

That happened to me, 16 pounds in 16 days for no reason, it was diabetes.  Good luck and prayers.

Honored Contributor

If he hasn't seen a doctor? IT'S TIME. Crossed fingers won't give him a diagnosis and nobody here can do so either. I am not one to worry, especially about myself, until I have a diagnosis. Then my mind switches to recovery mode.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@stargazergal

Please urge your SIL to make an appointment with his PCP for a comprehensive physical based on this dramatic weight loss.  This may be cause for concern.

God Bless

Super Contributor

no.... he is not trying to lose...... is why the doc visist.   He is a very hard worker, and is busy all of the time.  He lays floors for a living and is 31 years old.  2 Beautiful boys and an amazing wife (our daughter)  .......

if anyone else has experienced such symptoms would love to hear from you !

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

I assume he is not trying to lose the weight. His doctor should check him as this can be a sign of other things. Happened to my best friend and her doctor just let it go unchecked.

Super Contributor

The fingers crossed are for his doctors appointment today ~  hoping they find

it is not serious....... I am very concerned and just found out about this two days

ago....... please think positive thought for all of us.....thanks everyone for your posts. !

@hckynut wrote:

If he hasn't seen a doctor? IT'S TIME. Crossed fingers won't give him a diagnosis and nobody here can do so either. I am not one to worry, especially about myself, until I have a diagnosis. Then my mind switches to recovery mode.

hckynut(john)

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJHer doctor "let it go unchecked" or she didn'r call her weight loss to his/her attention?  I can't imagine my doctor not having an opinion!

But, he is so much on overload that I try to leave nothing much just to him to notice.  Years ago I did that.  Now.  I go in with my written list of concerns - from the most basic which for me is BP check and renewal of my script to any differences I've noticed in my form or my function.  It sometimes seems as if once I get himstarted paying attention to that list, he asks even more questions than he did when I wasn't so pro-active.

Super Contributor

The weight loss I guess has happened in the last few months.   Our Son inlaw is

being seen today..........  I am asking for everyones well wishes that it is something

treatable such as a thyroid issue, or? 

If anyone else has experienced dramatic weightloss, would love to hear from you.

thank you all for posting !!!

@millieshops wrote:

@proudlyfromNJHer doctor "let it go unchecked" or she didn'r call her weight loss to his/her attention?  I can't imagine my doctor not having an opinion!

But, he is so much on overload that I try to leave nothing much just to him to notice.  Years ago I did that.  Now.  I go in with my written list of concerns - from the most basic which for me is BP check and renewal of my script to any differences I've noticed in my form or my function.  It sometimes seems as if once I get himstarted paying attention to that list, he asks even more questions than he did when I wasn't so pro-active.