Honored Contributor

🛒💊🗑👃🏻🤧Having a Cold is Expensive

Lucky me - I started celebrating the First Day of Summer Eve by coming down with a cold. I had enough "stuff" to get by when I was feeling really punky, but was going stir-crazy today so hied myself to the drugstore. I ran out of gas after 15 minutes 😓

All I bought was two boxes of Kleenex, a bag of CVS cough drops, a bottle of CVS nasal spray, some Vicks Vaporub, something for my sore nose, Mucinex and Sudafed. The total was $65!!

I've spent the last two days and nights coughing my lungs up, so I was desperate enough to try the Vicks-on-the-soles-of-the-feet thing, since no cough syrup except with codeine ever does a thing for me. The Vicks didn't work - still coughing. Of course, I didn't use half a jar - and "felt" no menthol coursing through my body. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Re: 🛒💊🗑👃🏻🤧Having a Cold is Expensive

[ Edited ]

My Mother always rubbed Vicks on the chest, not the feet!  

My DH always just drinks tea with a shot of Rock and Rye in it.  He swear by it.

I hope you feel feel better soon.  

IMG_0256.JPG

Respected Contributor

My mom used Vick's on our necks and chest and then wrapped an diaper around our necks. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Eeeps.

Keep an eye on that coughing...and don't hesitate to go to the doctor if it lasts longer than 5+days.

Throughout the yrs, my bouts of bronchitis & walking pneumonia started off as coughing crud, which stemmed from allergies. The line in the sand for a doctor's visit was the 'seal bark' & no sleep.   Are you there yet?!

Maybe elevate yourself w/ an extra pillow tonight...that might help with the coughing. 

Keep us posted!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde,  I can't think of much to offer in the way of suggestions, but wanted to send good wishes to you.    I'm sorry you feel crummy.    Take good care of yourself.❤️  

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Carmie wrote:

My Mother always rubbed Vicks on the chest, not the feet!  

My DH always just drinks tea with a shot of Rock and Rye in it.  He swear by it.

I hope you feel feel better soon.  

My mom did that too - and I hated it. Vowed I would never do it to myself. But I've read multiple times on these forums that people swear by putting it on the bottom of your feet. No one can explain how/why it works, but they say it does; not for me.

I tried Zicam but it was too late. I'm lucky in that it isn't a super-horrible one. But I haven't slept for two nights - and trust me, I sound like you dooon't want to be around me :-(

Thanks for the well-wishes :-)

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

My mom used Vick's on our necks and chest and then wrapped an diaper around our necks. 

The feel of old flannel on my chest with Vicks underneath will stay with me forever - like fingernails on a blackboard 😖

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@GSPgirl wrote:

The feel of old flannel on my chest with Vicks underneath will stay with me forever - like fingernails on a blackboard 😖

@Moonchilde❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@sidsmom, I have an allergic "bark" most of the time, even though I take a daily allergy pill (and had allergy shots years ago). It's not constant by any means, but it's been my companion for 20+ years. Most times (this one was no different) I start out thinking I'm having a bad allergy attack, so don't always dose up with Zicam at the crucial time. I did some this time over 12 hrs but it was too late.

I don't usually have lung-type colds, only rarely. My cough is only very slightly productive and it's breaking up already. It's the "back of the throat tickle" that's my problem. Nothing helps that for me but codeine. But by the time I could get in to see someone, it will be gone. And with the experience I've had with this doctor, he'd probably okay two days' dose and refuse to refill it :-(

Oh yeah, I've been sleeping sitting up since Night One :-( Hopefully the Terrible Tickle will be better tonight & tomorrow.

I have had sexyvoice for two days, though ;-)

Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@Moonchilde,  I can't think of much to offer in the way of suggestions, but wanted to send good wishes to you.    I'm sorry you feel crummy.    Take good care of yourself.❤️  

Thanks, @dooBdoo. I haven't felt extremely bad (except for the PIT* coughing) but after 10-15 min in the drugstore I was ready to come home and veg again. My mind wants to get out; my body, not so much.