Honored Contributor

Re: 🛒💊🗑👃🏻🤧Having a Cold is Expensive

Hope you feel better soon.  Take care of yourself!

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

If you can spend a little bit more,

get something with dextromethorphan-that's the cough suppressant.

(unless you got the musinex that already has an expectorant and the cough suppressant.)

You can get a generic at Walmart for about $3-great stuff.

Summer colds are the worst! I hope you feel better soon.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

Thanks @Annabellethecat66 :-)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

It sounds horrible.  Both hubs and I have allergies and varying degrees of asthma, and I am terrified of colds b/c they turn into endliess, bronchial woes.

Feel better, try to get sleep. My sympathies for all the agony this stuff produces....  I love to watch soothing, low-energy vintage TV shows on my computer when I'm sick, like "Barnaby Jones" episodes, or "Rockford" or my fave, "The Fugitive".... maybe you'll find something you can just drift off to...

Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@Moonchilde

(unless you got the musinex that already has an expectorant and the cough suppressant.)

@on the bay, it doesn't work on me. I bought it a little over a year ago (and have bought it before, in hope) when I had my last cold, and it was a waste of $$ for me. Did nothing. Coughed within 5 min of swallowing. The Mucinex does have it in, and I've been taking that since day one of the cold, so...nada.

I think what I will do is something my mom used to do that I can get behind (unlike the Vicks-on-chest) - she would put a pea-sized piece of Vicks on a spoon and I would let it dissolve in my mouth/down my throat; it did help, at least.

Honored Contributor

IMG_5344.GIF

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde-

Yikes! Though people have taken small amounts before, camphor in vicks is toxic and cause severe side effects, even death.

there must be something better to take or get that codeine.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

It sounds horrible.  Both hubs and I have allergies and varying degrees of asthma, and I am terrified of colds b/c they turn into endliess, bronchial woes.

Feel better, try to get sleep. My sympathies for all the agony this stuff produces....  I love to watch soothing, low-energy vintage TV shows on my computer when I'm sick, like "Barnaby Jones" episodes, or "Rockford" or my fave, "The Fugitive".... maybe you'll find something you can just drift off to...

@Oznell, I'm isolating myself in my room because both my niece and her DH have asthma. He also has COPD and was operated on in January for lung cancer, with immune compromise from radiation & chemo, so the very last thing this house needs is a virus. All of his colds have always turned bronchial even before recent events. My colds typically, when serious/bad, turn my head and nose into a brick (lots of sinus pain) and leave my chest pretty much alone. I just need a drill for my forehead :-(

I was watching Lucy Worsley vids on Youtube yesterday - you would enjoy them. Right now, the Food Channel. I think I was watching something on the Science Channel last night. I did leave a dim light on all night because I was either blowing my nose, using nasal spray or cough drops all night long. Ugh.

Valued Contributor

oh, my Mom did the Vicks thing, she melted a tiny bit in the spoon & gave it to us..a wonder we didn't die from that..

BUT I have found Delsyn cough med (orange box, I think) as the best OTC syrup..costs more, but using double dose usually helps me..hope you are better tonight! 

@Moonchilde wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Moonchilde

@on the bay, it doesn't work on me. I bought it a little over a year ago (and have bought it before, in hope) when I had my last cold, and it was a waste of $$ for me. Did nothing. Coughed within 5 min of swallowing. The Mucinex does have it in, and I've been taking that since day one of the cold, so...nada.

I think what I will do is something my mom used to do that I can get behind (unlike the Vicks-on-chest) - she would put a pea-sized piece of Vicks on a spoon and I would let it dissolve in my mouth/down my throat; it did help, at least.

@Moonchilde wrote:

@on the bay wrote:

@Moonchilde

Oh

Honored Contributor

Thank you, @Evie2004 :-)