Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has anyone noticed . . .

@lbwshop wrote:

When i was pregnant with my daughter, I prayed that would get MY teeth (straight) and my husband's hair (curly).  She got her dad's teeth, so we willingly paid for braces from the time she was nine years old.  She INHERITED her jaws and teeth--how would making her pay for treatment have taught her responsibility???  I chose her father, teeth and all--she had no choice about her heritage.  What parent would not pay for her child's medical costs--unless they are destitute?

@lbwshop   Very true.  A key word left out in all this is "RESPECT".....  I think you understand.......

Honored Contributor

No mercury fillings anymore....less chance of cracked teeth from those metal fillings causing crowns etc when older.  Also the new thing is laser dentistry.  No fillings at all and less damage to the tooth than drilling.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I believe the medical community is much more aware today regarding the connection between health and good oral hygiene.  The days of extreme braces are pretty much over.

In fact, braces today can be almost invisible or have colors.  GS had green and blue braces.

I find it almost abusive to allow toddlers/children to consume so much sugar that their teeth literally rot out, 

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

I think more kids get braces now.  One of mine did and all my grandkids.  Also, now many people (and especially those on TV) have  their teeth professionally whitened.   I notice some on Q have had some other type work done to their teeth, but I think their look before was better.  JMO  I'm sure all on QVC have their teeth whitened periodically.

Respected Contributor

My sons teeth are very good. Mine were not. When I was 11yrs old   My eye tooth became abscessed. The doctor said hold your farther hand tight and he pulled it out. Will never forget it. Tomorrow morning I go to the dentist to have my two front teeth recapped. One broke off. I am dreading it. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My wisdom teeth all came in when I was 12yo. I never had them taken out because the dentists all said the teeth were fine they way they were. My teeth have always been straight and I never had the need for braces. Today at 63 I still have all of my natural teeth, including all four wisdoms, and none of my teeth have ever had a cavity or any work done whatsoever. How's that for a perfect set of teeth?!! Smiley Very Happy

As for children and people under 30, their dental care is dreadful and I've seen kids around here with terrible looking teeth. It's very sad. Many cannot affort dental care.

I think more people would go the the dentist if they weren't so expensive.  Even with insurance I paid close to $3,000 for one treatment.  Most families cannot afford to shell out thousands of dollars so what happens is that teeth are not taken care of.  Sad.

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam