Frequent Contributor

Re: Has anyone here been referred to a "lipid clinic"?

The lipid clinic was new to me. My doctor(not my cardiologist🤷‍♀️) suggested I give it a try. It is run by Cardiologists . They do special Lipid testing that can show if your high levels are genetic or not, etc. The main goal is to get your LDL down. That is the Croat l number to avoid heart attack or stroke in their opinion. I failed the Repatha( leg pain) and was hesitant to try another but I did. Leqvio. It's only once every 6 months vs twice a month and gets out of your system fast. It did knock my LDL down from 200 to 49! No side effects so at this point I will continue with it as long as they get me the grant yearly.

Trusted Contributor

@jubilant 

Husband is taking repatha and his numbers are amazing with no side effects. Other statins made him sick and have leg and body pain. Hope you find what helps you.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn  Hi, John.  I just realized I didn't answer your questions. I don't have Fibrillation or Arterial Blockages that I know of.  I had a echocardiogram last week.  It was normal.

One thing that bothers me is it is a known fact that cholesterol doesn't kill....it is the inbalance of it that kills. 

Our bodies actually need some cholesterol.  My numbers are inbalanced for sure....I understand that. I fear some of these new medications take too much cholesterol away.

These lipid clinics, as I understand it now....talk diet, exercise and medications.  These are things I do understand and I admit, need to do better at. I'm thinking I should try this first.  I'm not a terrible eater but I know, where diet and exercise is concerned, I have let down this past year and I can do better.  Thinking of starting there first. 

I talked to a woman from the clinic yesterday and really didn't hear much new from what my cardioligist said several years ago.

High cholesterol runs in my family. Mom, Dad, brother and sister all have it and none of us can take the statins. Mom and Dad lived to 90 and 92 years old.  Dad had open heart surgery and stints. Mom died of conjestive heart disease. My siblings and I are all in our 70's and still going without these new drugs.   These are all things I'm mulling over in my mind. 

I edited this to add that we need some cholesterol for our brains. I have brain damage from my open heart surgery and being under anesthesia too long so if I have to choose between brain damage and heart....I would choose my brain. 

Valued Contributor

Hi Renata22...

If you don't mind my asking....you said your husband is taking Rapatha....does his insurance cover the cost? My husband's cardiologist recommended he take it as he cannot tolerate ANY statins---but Medicare nor our supplement will cover any of the cost---we cannot afford to pay $518 per month for the drug. How is he managing to pay for it? It's a shame for us on limited incomes who could use this drug to prolong life. Why invent it if only the very rich can afford it? Makes me so angry and frustrated! My husband physically worked so hard his whole life and now that he is retired, he can't even afford to take a drug that might prolong his enjoyment of his retirement. Just saying.

Honored Contributor

I'll wait until it goes generic, if I live that long.  Disgraceful pricing.