Respected Contributor

Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy

I was wondering if anyone has experience with pelvic floor physical therapy?  I recently had a hysterectomy and now have a bladder prolapse. 

I have read several articles on the physical therapy being helpful.  But, I also read that it can be expensive if not covered by insurance.  I'm checking into it now but was wondering if you had any personal experience?

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Pelvic Floor Physical Therapy

I don't have any experience with that, but, my doctor did tell me that my bladder has "dropped".  Quite often I feel the urge to urinate when there is not much there.  If there are exercises to help that, other than "kegels" (sp), I would be interested to know what they are.

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else. Margaret Mead
Frequent Contributor

I was on Vesicare.  I noticed my skin was drying and decided to visit a urologist.  He immediately asked me to stop the medicine and to try pelvic therapy.  For me it has worked so well.  Frankly I was surprised that it worked.  My insurance allows for 6 sessions per year and for 2 years I have used them!  The procedure is easy, painless and so far so good!  Find someone you feel relaxed to work with for the therapy.  Wishing you  a positive outcome.

Esteemed Contributor

I cannot speak to any PT for this, but in June, I had surgery to correct stress incontinance.  Earlier this year, I had a complete hysterectomy and discussed it with my GYN after the fact.

When he went back to remove the sutures, he did the additional surgery.

It was one of the best decisions I've ever made. 

I had tried Kiegel exercises in the past, with no success.

I'm not sure surgery is for everyone, but it worked for me.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

I cannot speak to any PT for this, but in June, I had surgery to correct stress incontinance.  Earlier this year, I had a complete hysterectomy and discussed it with my GYN after the fact.

My doc did say I could have corrective surgery but I just don't want to do another surgery yet.  And, I heard that for a prolapse it sometimes doesn't last.

Frequent Contributor

I have stress incontinence and also urge incontinence issues.  My gyn recommended I see a PT about a year ago for these problems.  My insurance did not cover any of the visits, but the PT had a "package plan" where I went for 6 visits for a reduced fee and the payments were spread out over 6 months.

I found the PT to be helpful indeed.  However, it was somewhat time consuming to do the exercises at home every day.  Eventually I stopped doing them and the problems came back almost immediately.  I can't spend that much time every day doing them.

I am going to speak to my gyn about other alternatives when I go back in November.  Good luck!

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman wrote:

Which surgery did you have? Was it a sling? Did they leave mesh in? I'm doing pelvic pt now but am interested in the sugery. There is something called Bulkamid also. Looking into that also.

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Contributor

I had pelvic floor physical therapy about 4 months after my hysterectomy in 2020. I wasn't having bladder issues, but was struggling with pain in the pelvic area, especially where the incisions were. It was absolutely wonderful. The therapist walked me through all kinds of different exercises and really helped me embrace my new body post surgery. I had state insurance, so didn't have to pay out of pocket.