Honored Contributor

Has anyone had gum surgery to correct gum recession?

My dentist shocked the heck out of me about a year ago suggesting I look into it.  

My employer is doing open enrollment in a few weeks where I can pick up dental insurance so I'm thinking of maybe taking her advice and having this done next year. 

One of my first dentists as an adult told me in my 20s that if I ever needed a medical procedure to do it while you're young and have no medical issues.

Anyone have experience with this and can let me know what I'm in for physically and financially if I go ahead?  I'd appreciate any info you have or could point me to.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Has anyone had gum surgery to correct gum recession?

I would definitely get a second opinion on gum surgery.  Also, I'm sure you will check to be sure that the dental insurance you choose includes the cost of the surgery and you might want to see which dentists are approved on the plan.  Dental insurance sometimes can be bare bones.

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 my girl friend has had it done ....it was extensive surgery.  The diagnosis was a huge surprise to her when the dentist mentioned it, this was  many years ago.

She went for a second opinion and was told the same thing.  The problem was her regular dentist NEVER MENTIONED 1 word to her that there was anything going on in her mouth - and she saw him several times a year - she was very angry.

She never had dental insurance so none of her procedures were covered, it was pretty expensive.

She takes excellent care of her teeth - about 30 minutes morning and night cleaning, flossing, irrigating and then brushes during the day as well.

She was a smoker years ago and that might have contributed to the peridontal disease.

Do you think if you signed up for dental insurance now that it would be covered?  I am not sure beause it would be a pre-existing condition...

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had it done in one area of my mouth by my periodontist.  We were in a car accident and I cracked a number of teeth.  The lower back 2 molars were capped.  While going through menopause my gums receded and the caps no longer fit properly.  The procedure was not particularly painful and healing was uneventful. I wanted to add, this was the procedure where the roof of my mouth was scraped.

Do not count of dental insurance paying all that much.  At the time, ours paid $1500 annually.  I had the procedure done the day before Thanksgiving so by then, there was not much left in my account.  It was a costly procedure. Had I had the procedure in January, it would have more than depleted my account for the year.

Esteemed Contributor

My husband would tell you he was told he had receding gums, and to rinse with an anti-cavity fluoride rinse twice daily, and that it has seemingly helped.

My plumbing contractor also told me these mouthwashes are hard on drains, so to spit them in the toilet instead.  DH followed orders, and the first time I saw the red cinnamon flavored stuff in there before flushing (following another order to conserve water), I thought he was probably fatally sick!

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

My dentist suggested I may need gum surgery.I did a lot of reading online and decided against it for now.There is a lot of info about it.I started using neem mouthwash and toothpaste and the hygienist says that my gums are looking healthier and my teeth don’t have as much plaque buildup.

Esteemed Contributor

The dentist told my brother in the law the same thing 7 years ago and his wife discourage him immensely.  Needless to say his gums are still fine.  The guy is a reputable and a family dentist but just because you can do does not mean you should.  Get some plackers, rinser, a sonic care toothbrush, mouthwash and you should be okay.

Valued Contributor

Wasn't sure if you were talking about a deep cleaning or gum grafts. I've had both. The deep cleaning was not a big deal. 

The gum graft is where the dentist takes skin from the roof of your mouth and grafts it onto the gum over a tooth so less tooth is exposed. You have a retainer afterwards for the wound in the roof of your mouth and probably a prescription for a pain killer. Also have to be very very careful not to disturb the area where the graft was placed or it will move. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your help and suggestions.

@CinNC  This was described as a gum graft with skin from the roof of my mouth.  

Honored Contributor

I know my sister had one side of her mouth done some years ago, and she has been ultra attentive to daily care as well as to dental viisits.  It was painful and expensive; she never had the other side done.Now at nearly 90, she's having mouth issues severe enough to need treatment. Her primary dentist is their son but he doesn't do the procedures he wants for her although he has been doing some of the preparatory work prior to any other procedure they decide to do.