Respected Contributor

Re: Has anyone had gum surgery to correct gum recession?

@Laura14 She is one of my oldest friends and unfortunately moved to Florida. She called me a few times after the procedure and I remember that she was really, only complaining about the sutures and the diet. The procedure itself, nothing. She'll be the first one to tell you she can't handle much. So, if she got by without really complaining about the pain, it may be better than you think. Again, everyone reacts in a different way. What is terrible for one, can be nothing for another. You're one tough cookie. You can do anything!

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

@Coquille  I have my next dental appointment coming up on 12/31.  I am just trying to take care of all those things that are starting to potentially be an issue now that I am a grown up.  I don't need anymore stress in my life!

Respected Contributor

@Laura14 No one does! Growing up and getting older, Ain't Easy! Like I used to tell my grandmother, what's the alternative? So, after she would complain for 5 minutes, she would say," You have to shut up and take it". She lived to 99 1/2. 

Do what you have to do in your own time frame. One step at a time.The important issues, especially medical issues, come first but you know that. 🤔😉

Honored Contributor

@Laura14

Take CoQ10 for gum health. I found this out quite a while back while doing som research. My SIL had gum issues.

Honored Contributor

@Coquille I really appreciate you! You are one of the best voices in my life.

@Nightowlz I have that in one of the supplements but I may take it on its own too. I think someone else recommended that. Thank you!
Trusted Contributor

I'd definitely get a second opinion and if it has to be done it should be done by a periodontist but gum recession can be corrected in many cases especially if it isn't advanced and I would try to take charge before undertaking this surgery.  Taking excellent care of your teeth is the main way but google for other ways to accomplish this.   

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.
Honored Contributor

Thank you @Deree. I will Google for ways to do that.
Respected Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
@CoquilleI really appreciate you! You are one of the best voices in my life.

@NightowlzI have that in one of the supplements but I may take it on its own too. I think someone else recommended that. Thank you!

@Laura14 You have a great inner strength and you're caring. No matter how tough you might want people to think you are, you're a softy.  Look what you do for your family. You go above and beyond. If I can help, that's great. Isn't that what life should be about, helping each other? I had to be my own caretaker until I met my husband and had my daughter. That's when I started learning my worth. At some point, we have to look in the mirror and tell ourselves the truth and then live it, as hard as it might be.

I am not the only one here for you. There are a lot of people on these boards that are here for you! Remember, you can always count on me to be one of them! I'll be here to cheer you on!😉

Frequent Contributor

Can you get the CDT codes from your dentist for the procedure? If possible, you could check with the dental insurance or an HR person to see if those specific codes are a covered benefit with your plan. It’s really a personal decision, honestly. I need it on my lower front teeth but I’ve been putting it off. It’ll help with sensitivity if you have that.
I should add- I put it off because I’m in the dental field. I know EXACTLY how it’ll be done because I’ve assisted chairside on some cases. It’s not pretty! Lol. The end result is nice however. And the CDT codes that my office would use are D4277 and D4288, I believe. If that helps you any right now.
Respected Contributor

@Laura14. Just wanted to let you know that there is a new pin hole technique that is apparently less "invasive" as it only involves poking a hole into and pulling the gum line above each affected tooth over the recessed gum area.

Here is more about the technique:

"The Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique (PST®), invented and patented by John Chao, D.D.S., is a scalpel-free, suture-free procedure for treating gum recession.

This procedure is performed by making a small hole with a needle in the gum tissue. Using specially designed instruments, the gum tissue is loosened and guided over the receded part of the tooth. Since there is no incision or suturing, patients can expect minimal post-operative symptoms (pain, swelling and bleeding). Most patients also are pleasantly surprised by the instant cosmetic improvement. "

My dentist, who is not associated with Dr. Chao, recommended this technique to me, but to date, I have resisted the recommendation.  My dentist had to receive special training in the technique.

All the best to you with your decision.  The Chao pinhole technique is very expensive.  I forgot how much, but my estimate was in the low thousands.