Esteemed Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had Knee Meniscus Repair?

@ANewHue wrote:

@pattypeep. I had severe pain in my knee and after it was diagnosed as a torn meniscus I had surgery . Surgery went well but about three weeks after I couldn't move.  Started going to PT as the doctor suspected bursitis in my hip.  After being in severe pain for several months I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. 

I'm so sorry, @ANewHue. We can only hope to feel much better after a procedure of any kind, then to be diagnosed with fibromyalgia is awful. I've had bursitis in my hip and it was very painful as I recall. I hope your pain will be manageable. <3

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

I had 2 meniscal tears in my left knee 2 years ago. One vertically and one medially diagnosed with MRI. I suffered for over a month, had a cortisone injection and no relief. 2 months later I had a partial meniscectomy and when my surgeon saw me a few days later, he told me my knee was loaded with arthritis and that I had a discoid meniscus which is uncommon.
As for therapy.. He showed me quads exercises and said that's what therapy would show me
I will say I had a significant delay in my recovery because the O.R. nurse applied the thigh tourniquet TOO tight cutting off the blood supply. It hurt worse than heck! I also developed right hip bursitis because of compensating for the left knee pain.
I still have some stiffness but no pain.
Honored Contributor

@pattypeep  There have been many here who had this surgery incluing me about 4-5 yrs ago.  My MRI showed a couple of tears in my right knee that I fell down on, one was a fairly bad tear.

My surgeon was great, absolutely knows his stuff.  I went in early for out patient, was put under.  He told me exactly what he would do ie made 3 itsy 'x' cuts, do laser to repair and he cleaned out the arthritis in that knee too while he was there.

I walked out with crutches (if you have a pr, definitely take them or if you know someone with, borrow them, you'll need them).  Hubby was there with me the entire time.  Hospital staff in out patient was fab too.  It was kind of humorous - all of us patients there, lined up for the same surgery done by a few different drs. 

Had a BIG ole bandage around my knee when I left, had to keep that one on, knee wrapped for a week, then I could take it off.  First week I applied an ice pack for any swelling but there really wasn't any, no pain afterwards either.  I did not take any prescription pain meds either, only aspirin if I needed it.  I was off work for 5-6 wks, they're pretty strict about that.  Did a couple of wks of PT afterwards for full access range of motion.  Felt great.  Knee stills feels good, saw Dr (surgeon) 6 wks later - he was pleased as he should have been.  Very quick, simple out patient.

Good luck, get it done, don't worry about it - nothing to it, piece of cake - and you'll soon be back walking with no pain attached.

Trusted Contributor

When I had bone on bone, I had a knee replacement. Had it on Monday. Went home on Thursday. Was recovered in about 2 weeks. Had PT. No problems since and that was 4 yrs ago. Every one I talked to said they were sorry they had waited so long and they should have had it done sooner. If you are down to bone on bone already, I would just go for the whole replacement.

Esteemed Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD. Thank you so much ~ what good news. I'm so happy that yours was a good outcome. Due to the pain, I'm more than ready to go for it.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

When I posted about my knee replacement, I made a mistake!  Meant to say "in rehab for a week" not a year.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep  Yes, so was I.  from the time i had my fall to the day I had my surgery was about one month, not much longer.  I knew about a day or so later that something was very wrong.  My knee puffed up and HURT.  Things moved quickly from start to finish - seeing my PCP, having my xrays & MRI to really confirm how bad my tears were, being hooked up with the right surgeon, scheduling, in/out DONE. 

Don't hold back, get your results, get scheduled and feel better.  FAST!

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep

I had both my right and then left meniscus repaired about twenty + years ago.  I had damaged them from over-training and doing two marathons back-to-back in two years.

I have had great success and I am now 57 years old.  I lift weights every other day and do cardio almost every day.  I no longer use the treadmill, but different types of ellipticals, rowing machines, and bikes.

I protect my knees and take Andrew Lessman's Maximum Joint Effort supplements, along with his Marine Peptide Collagen and my knees are doing great!

having my knees scoped and repaired was a great relief!  No more swelling and pain.  I do have osteoarthritis, but it is very manageable.

Valued Contributor

i HAD TWO MENISCUS REPAIRS ON THE SAME KNEE AND THE FIRST ONE I HAD A LOT OF PAIN AND THE SECOND TIME AROUND IT WAS BETTER BUT I DEVELOPED ARTHRITIS WITHIN A FEW YEARS AND HAD A TOTAL KNEE REPLACEMENT.  I FOUND THAT THE KNEE REPLACEMENT WAS MUCH EASIER TO DEAL WITH AND I HAD LESS PAIN.  DID PT FOR 3 MONTHS AND  THINGS WERE FINE.  I KNOW A LOT OF PEOPLE HAD TERRIBLE PAIN AND RESULTS FROM KNEE REPLACEMENT BUT MINE WASN'T BAD AT ALL.  I WENT IN POSITIVE AND I THINK MY DOCTORS EVEN WERE SURPRISED I DID SO WELL.  THEY DID TELL ME THAT KNEE REPLACMENT WASN'T A WALK IN THE PARK.  IT WAS MUCH BETTER THAN THE MENISCUS REPAIR.

I JUST SAW ON TV THE PAST WEEK WHERE NOW INSTEAD OF CLEANING THE MENISCUS THE DOCTOR SEWED IT AND REPAIRED IT AND THE RESULTS WERE A LOT BETTER.  GUESS IT ALL DEPENDS ON HOW BAD THE TEAR IS.  ONCE THE MENISCUS IS CLEANED AND THERE IS NOTHING THERE THE ARTHRITIS SETS IN.