Esteemed Contributor

Has Anyone Had Knee Meniscus Repair?

Been in awful pain and limping around for a couple of months. Doctor said he believes I have torn the knee meniscus. After the MRI, we will discuss options. Sounds like a pretty simple procedure with minimal recovery time. Can anyone out there share their experience? (Man, it's awful getting old).

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Re: Has Anyone Had Knee Meniscus Repair?

I had a severely torn menicus and had same day surgery.  Went to PT for about a month and had to do exercises at home.  Compared to my bunion surgery (2 feet at a time) it wasn't so bad.  Unfortunately, about a year later I had to have a knee replacement on the same knee -- that was the worse surgery I've ever had (also had 2 C-sections) -- had to have a blood transfusion and be in rehab for a year.  Don't be afraid of having the surgery -- as long as you follow up with PT and do what they say.  The best to you!!

Contributor

I have s slight tear in the meniscus. Had a shot end of last yr and it lasted bout 3 months, then had a 2nd shot. From what I have read, some have said not to let them cut the meniscus tissue to repair/clean it. That it would be worse after the surgery because of arthritis that is there already and if the tissue is removed from that area then you will have bone against bone,so I am leary about that. Goggle meniscus surgery. I have been taking Alieve as its starting to hurt again.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had meniscus surgery several years ago (8 years ago I think) on my right knee. I was in hideous pain beforehand. I thought the surgery day would never get here.  When I finally got settled in the pre-op bed I was positively giddy because it meant I didn't have to try to walk with the hideous pain anymore. 

For me, the surgery was easy and very quick. My surgeon said I was under anesthesia for 22 minutes which shocked me. He said the tear in my meniscus was "pretty nasty". I woke up and was alert immediately and was in recovery for about 20-30 minutes and then my husband and I drove home and picked up take out dinner on the way.  I had it done on a Wednesday or Thursday. I had to wear the compression stocking thing, which drove me nuts, till Sunday morning. 

I only had to take one pain pill and I'm not sure I really even needed that, but I was afraid I would have pain if I didn't.  Physical therapy a couple times a week for 6 weeks I think. The PT was essential. 

I hope you get some relief soon. 

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Esteemed Contributor

@henderson Hi. I was told on the same visit that I will ultimately need a full knee replacement down the road. Bone on bone in the right knee and starting to close on the left. Ugh. My friend had two knee replacements at different times and the recovery was awful for her and she's a tough cookie. I don't look forward to that. I'm hoping with the meniscus repair, I can get by with my knees until I don't need them anymore. Thank you for your reply.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Esteemed Contributor

@jerseygirly. This is something that I want to discuss in full with the Dr. before we do anything. The pain has become almost intolerable, so I really don't think I can put the surgery off. But I will have plenty of questions for the Dr. Thank you for your reply.

Esteemed Contributor

@gidgetgh. Thank you for your reply. Your comment has relieved me somewhat. I read about the process on the internet and it was similar to what you expressed. I'm glad yours went well.

Esteemed Contributor

After an MRI my dr said I have an extruded meniscus in one knee. Being pushed out of place by osteo arthritis.

Some of what I read was that those who opted for surgery were no better off than those who went for only pt if it's not a major tear.

Self care has been 800mg ibuprofen, soaking in a hot epsom salts bath, some warming essential oils and a muscle/pain cream.

When the ibuprofen no longer works, we'll get to injectables but very costly and only work for about 1/2 of those that try them

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy. Good to know that is a possibility. The MRI will show where the x-ray did not. Thank you for the heads up.

Esteemed Contributor

@pattypeep. I had severe pain in my knee and after it was diagnosed as a torn meniscus I had surgery . Surgery went well but about three weeks after I couldn't move.  Started going to PT as the doctor suspected bursitis in my hip.  After being in severe pain for several months I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia.