Honored Contributor

Re: Grazing or snacking -- whatever you want to call it --

I hope I have responded to everyone and I apologize if I missed anyone!  Thank you for all your kindness and in taking the time to answer and offer help.  I am very upset with myself.  I think I am disciplined about things and this seems to have me temporarily (I hope) stymied.  I hope to work through this and get myself sorted out!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, You are aware and that's half way there. You'll be fine and do fine. Don't be hard on yourself. Life is like being on a merry-go-round, just hang on.

Frequent Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

Hi AngelPuppySmiley Happy

This might not sound great but I wash and cut in half iceberg lettuce and just cut off a chunk and crunch! Lettuce is also supposed to be a calming food. Also slices of cucmbers with the skin still on-very crunchy. And roasted almonds-so crunchy and they give you energy and good for a lot of things!

Hope that helps

Oh and also to have them cold and ready and the other things out of sight.

And a trick my grandmother used to do is just to imagine you are eating something, like your favorite candy bar. You know what it tasted like so you don't have to eat it cause you just imagined eating it lol! WEll, sometimes that works..and sometimes it just doesn't!

Brilliant Grandmother! I can't wait to try this!

Frequent Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@GSPgirl

I wouldn't go in lunchroom but I do like to get coffee, water and tea.  And I do like to socialize for a few minutes here or there.  it helps to get away from the desk for a few minues.  I am depressed because I cannot walk.  Walking has always been my thing.  Back when I was young I did a lot stuff --- aerobics, yoga, fitness classes, weights, etc.  I have a lot of other health issues and have a hard time doing lots of things.  Back, shoulder, neck, etc.  So, it's hard.  I no longer have any desire to take classes or belong to a gym.

Thanks so much for your post.  

AngelPuppy - I know-I had a bad foot for years - then a bad shoulder and wrists - it is depressing. I searched YouTube for "seated cardio" - there is someone who has three exercise videos that were really a good workout. Some things you might not be able to do because of your shoulder and neck, but it might be something to look at. The one I like (there aren't that many) has the girl and her dog sitting right next to her. Then at some point the dog gets bored and moves to look out the window. 

Is there any chance the ankle pain will go Away? After going to two podiatrists, it was the woman at a place that makes othodics who watched me walk and finally figured out the problem. Even then I had to go back for an adjustment before the pain finally went away. 

Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@qualitygal wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, You are aware and that's half way there. You'll be fine and do fine. Don't be hard on yourself. Life is like being on a merry-go-round, just hang on.

Well said!

Honored Contributor

@Katyq

You're so sweet!  Thanks for the lovely post.  I WILL look on YouTube.  

I have been having this ankle problem for nearly 3 years.  I have been to 6 doctors and they can't seem to straighten it out or figure it out.  I have had various shots, been given creams, pills and PT.  It is so frustrating and I have at times really broken down.  I have been wearing orthotics and a brace for over 2 years.  These keep my pain level down but I cannot walk much at all and as I mentioned in other posts, I can no longer wear any shoes but ugly sneakers-- which I hate.  I pray for this to be resolved but I am currently at the point where I have no idea what to do now????  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The kitchen in our office is always filled with (what I think of as) cr@p.  I try not to even look at that stuff as food.

Pack your own healthy pre-planned lunch, and low cal snack; and brush your teeth after eating.  Then, no more.

Don't look to snacking (even healthy snacks) as a way to relieve anxiety.  

As for that kitchen:  Make a habit:  If you don't bring it, don't eat it.

Do the math.
Honored Contributor

I find I snack when I'm bored so , since you are at work - find something else to do. Help someone who is busier than you.

Honored Contributor

AngelPuppy1, Try not to be so hard on yourself. Maybe if you ate more for breakfast such as toast and fruit with your oatmeal it would help you. I wish you the very best. Take one day at a time.
Honored Contributor

For whatever reason, and a bit oddly, yogurt often satisfies my sweet tooth - by itself or with fruit (berries, etc.)

Not knowing your work situation, but is it possible for you to listen to music or guided relaxation via earphones at some point during your day (breaks, lunch)? I once had a job where I would listen to anti-anxiety/relaxation tapes at lunch, and it helped a lot.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all