Contributor

Re: Passing drug test??

[ Edited ]

@RedTop wrote:

There is NO way on this green earth that you will get rid of the marijuana in your system for tomorrow's test.   No use trying any wild ideas to flush your system, as it just will not happen.

As long as you have the prescription for your medical need, then the anesthesiologist will have to figure out an alternative sedation for you---like a spinal, with Versed or something similar to where you go into such a light sleep you can respond to the surgeon during the process, but not remember it.   Best wishes to you with your procedure.   

@RedTop Nonono, I am just scheduling tomorrow. There is no date for a test until I book one.

Honored Contributor

@kemiqueen wrote:

@Poodlepet2 I really do need the surgery, but I cannot suffer for 30 days prior. I don't see how changing the method of administration can help me pass the test, but I will talk to my doc tomorrow. Thanks for your feedback!

@canada1

The method of administration will make no difference, you'll still test positive for THC whether you smoke it or take capsules, edibles, etc.

It's been my experience thru friends who use it medicinally and applying for jobs that require a drug test, that the over the counter 'cleanses' don't work.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Contributor

@KingstonsMom Exactly...

Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

Seriously?  If you are going under anesthesia - take your doctor's advice!

@hoosieroriginal There's more to it than that.

Honored Contributor

You need to contact your doctor who prescribes marijuana for a different delivery system.

If you can't give up smoking it for 30 days, and have been smoking it for 30 days, month after month, and for how long....

You're doing yourself some serious damage to your lungs.  SMH that the medical community doesn't see this happening.

Can't imagine what it's like to not be able to breathe as people do when they have lung diseases.

Once read a story a nurse told about people who are dying and cannot breathe.  The look in their eyes is of terror.  There isn't much they can do for you when your lungs are that played out.

It's like drowning in a room where everyone else is breathing, talking, laughing,.....living.

The first thing you should talk to your doctor about is finding a different delivery system, if you need to take this drug.  I don't think preventing this surgery is the only bad thing smoking is doing to you.

I've never heard of a drug test before a surgery, a physical and/or cbc.  It's a little suspect they are actually looking for drugs in your system.  Telling a doctor/anesthesiologist you smoke, period, would/should be enough for the go ahead.  Or not.

I'm not sure how far back a p test goes, but a hair test--you'd have to give it up a lot longer.

Respected Contributor

Patients are told to stop taking some meds and/or supplements prior to surgery because the affect the possibility of bleeding but have never heard of a doc requiring a drug test prior to surgery. Let your prescribing doc talk to your surgeon or find another surgeon who is willing to deal with the whole patient's issues. This sounds wonky.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guess your doctors need to work together. Never heard of having to pass a drug test to have surgery. I suppose they look at that when they take blood the morning of before surgery.

As far as I know pot stays in your system for at least a month so no way you will not test positive. I don't see anything wrong with smoking it the night before surgery. You will not be stoned the next morning. Sounds like the doctors need to get a clue.

Yes I have smoked pot think it should be legal in all states & others shoud just mind their own business. I don't see anything wrong with it. Some think it's a gateway to other drugs but only if that's what you choose IMO. I have smoked it & stopped so many times it's not funny. If it was legal here I would still be smoking it. I would like to retire in Colorado. LOL!!!

I hope you get your situation figured out. I think it's ridiculous the doctor telling you cannot have that in your system when they drug test you when you have a prescription for it. I'm not sure how drug tests work but I would assume they can see what type of drugs are being used & could see if it's just pot.???

I know someone that has used their kids urine when they had to have a drug test??? Don't know how true it is just what I was told.

Respected Contributor

The problem is, smoking anything decreases lung capacity and oxygen exchange: the drug per second, is not in question.

What John brought up is what I should have said from the beginning.

Personally, the anesthesiologist may support your use BUT, if medical marijuana is illegal in the state where you are having the surgery-and something happens to you- either intraoperatvely, or post-open, all associated with your case-knowing you are positive for an "illegal" drug in their state-could get into serious trouble....this is just not an anesthesiologist problem-it's a "surgeon" problem too.

There is a good chance your case may be cancelled.....it could go forward, but it may not.  Be prepared.

Poodlepet2

Respected Contributor

OP, if it's legal....what are the concerns then? Once again, across the board, surgeons etc. don't want you smoking anything....

Poodlepet2

Contributor

@Lucky Charm My grandfather died of lung cancer not long ago. I saw him suffer for years, so I am very aware of the dangers of smoking. Thank u for your concern. I told the surgeon I smoke pot when going over my meds. He did not ask. There's nothing to be suspicious about.