Trusted Contributor

Getting older is an experience where I find myself feeling/ doing/ reacting the way old people do...and I am not an old person! But apparently I am. My grands wear me out and I don't move as quickly as before...and I hear that old people are early risers....not me! I have a hard time getting my rear in gear many mornings...and the nap! Don't forget the nap where I doze off in the afternoons...but not everyday and not while I am driving😎

Honored Contributor

Well, I look at my hands, and they are some older woman's hands.  I don't care for how my body feels.  I fear the illnesses my folks had.  I am pretty sure if I get to my end w/o cancer, it's going to be rare.  Same for heart disease etc.  I'm pretty sure we go through these things (not everyone of course does) so that the end doesn't seem so scary.  I'm not one who fears death, I more fear living too long.  That in itself is a whole chapter.  

I drop off in naps now more often.  Hate the amount of energy I no longer have.  It bothers me to see what we were and now what we are.  Physically that is.  

That's just some of it!!!

Honored Contributor

I want to add, when I realized that old t.v. ad, where the people say, "I've fallen and I can't get up" was no longer a joke.  It was me!!!!

Honored Contributor

@luvzchiz wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

To quote Bette Davis

Getting old aint for sissies !!!
@Shelbelle   

My mother used to quote this along with, "It's not the golden years but the rusty.

LOL  getting old, isn't a choice, but my mom always questioned "the golden years"  I believe the term went out with them.  

Honored Contributor

@CJC wrote:

Just curious.....do any of you know someone who is 90+ and is still of sharp mind, sharp senses, independent and getting out and about like they always did?  I personally do not. 

@CJC 

I can't speak to their "senses", but I can speak to their "sharp mind and Independence". Know 1 man that is 93, and another that is 91.Have known both for decades and I see very little change in that respect. Move a little slower? Yes, but do not need a cane or other support to assist them. Think a little slower? Maybe, I know I do at 82, but I am working on improving it.

I do however know several that fit your description, except they are in their 50's

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

I don't mind getting older. I enjoy my grandchildren, work out most days, and always enjoy two (large) glasses of wine every day. I do see that our society looks at you differently, and that's sad. I remember being taught to respect my elders, doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Oh well. If we're lucky we get to live a long life. I'm hoping not to die in a nursing home, so it's eat, drink and be merry for me. Still watch my weight somewhat and keep up with my checkups. I love to laugh and have a good time. So far, so good. I feel blessed!

Honored Contributor

I am 67, a type 1 diabetic for the past 43 years and have never felt so good! I have lost 70 lbs this past year just by walking. My dh and I began walking last summer then proceeded to eat low carb and that's our lifestyle now. I look great and feel wonderful! I have drastically reduced my meds and have stopped taking a few. Life is what you make it. Take charge. Heart

"Pure Michigan"
Contributor

Don't consider yourself as being old aged at 65!

Contributor

Great Quote!!

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@CJC wrote:

Just curious.....do any of you know someone who is 90+ and is still of sharp mind, sharp senses, independent and getting out and about like they always did?  I personally do not. 

@CJC 

I can't speak to their "senses", but I can speak to their "sharp mind and Independence". Know 1 man that is 93, and another that is 91.Have known both for decades and I see very little change in that respect. Move a little slower? Yes, but do not need a cane or other support to assist them. Think a little slower? Maybe, I know I do at 82, but I am working on improving it.

I do however know several that fit your description, except they are in their 50's

hckynut 

I have a neighbor who is 91 and still mows his lawn, cooks, etc.  Several in this community are over 85 and it is a very active community!  Don't know their secret, just see it happening!