Valued Contributor

Anyone who is concerned about having the surgery............

Had mine removed 2 days ago, and I'm 64 yrs.

Done as an outpatient.

Wonderful team, the doc had.  Wow did they work together.

All of them knew what they had to do after they wheeled me in.

2 hours later.  My husband drove me home.

I took a vicadin (sp?), and 1 more before I went to bed.

Thinking I might not of needed them after all.

I was cautious how much pain I would have, after what the doc gave me wore off.

4 incisions, not 3.

By the way, my last attack 2 weeks ago, had me doubled over in pain for 7 hours.

So glad I had this done.

Jean

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gall Bladder surgery

[ Edited ]

Such a blessing to have a good Surgical team.

Don't over do  it just because you feel good.

You have to stay ahead of the pain and the give great drugs during surgery.

Just take it easy and rest.

Valued Contributor

Haven't taken any pain pills since Thursday.  None yesterday.

Was also prescribed a pain ointment.  Like that a lot better than a pill.

Don't feel I need that either.

Only sore when I try to get out of bed.

Respected Contributor

Mine was super easy as well.  I was about 56.  I have 4 small "stab" wounds as well.  Took a pain pill before bed the first night and then Advil if I needed it.  It wasn't painful, just sore.  Glad your feeling better.  I don't miss those attacks.

Honored Contributor

@shoppersince1989,  So glad you are okay and it's over.  The pain from gallbladder attacks is intense.  Over 30 years ago, I was having gallbladder attacks and I would be doubled over and crying because the pain was so severe.  I was afraid to eat and lost quite a bit of weight.  Finally had the surgery but back then was major (did not have the small incisions yet).  When I woke up the nurse was asking me to take deep breaths in and out (you have got to be kidding) anyway I was out in 4 days and healed quickly.  You will heal even faster and feel like a new person.  Take care.  Cat Very Happy

kindness is strength
Esteemed Contributor

@shoppersince1989, good luck with recovery. Having suffered from a faulty gall bladder, if your case is like mine you are going to feel so much better once you have recovered from the actual surgery.  Please be careful with your activity because although there are only small incisions outside, an organ was removed from inside so your body is traumatized.  

Like you, what led to my surgery was a final straw of doubling over in excruciating unrelenting pain.  In my case I fell over into a grocery store cooler and landed on blocks of cheese. In hindsight when I go into this store, the memory of me lying face down in the cheese sometimes makes me chuckle, but in the moment I was screaming and groaning loudly like a woman in labor.   

Honored Contributor

@shoppersince1989

Wow, was that fast!  I thought I had a quickie surgery; surgery Thursday then home Friday.  I hope your recovery goes as quickly as your hospital time.

Contributor

The first thing I said when I woke up was, "The pain is gone."

4 little incisions. The only one that bothered me a little was my bellybutton, but I didn't take any pain medication after surgery.

If you're having gallbladder issues, have the surgery if you can. It's well worth it.

None of the others mentioned this, but after the surgery, be careful what you eat because you'll be running to the bathroom a lot.

Regular Contributor

Glad you are feeling great.  I had the same surgery when I was 60ish, 15 or so years ago and I didn't have any problems at all.  Like you, I don't remember needing any pain meds. Coughing or sneezing were the only things that bothered me!  I have mild allergies.  I wasn't allowed to do any heavy lifting but other than that I was back to my normal routine pretty quickly.  You will feel sooo much better Smiley Happy

@shopper since 1989 wrote:

Anyone who is concerned about having the surgery............

Had mine removed 2 days ago, and I'm 64 yrs.

Done as an outpatient.

Wonderful team, the doc had.  Wow did they work together.

All of them knew what they had to do after they wheeled me in.

2 hours later.  My husband drove me home.

I took a vicadin (sp?), and 1 more before I went to bed.

Thinking I might not of needed them after all.

I was cautious how much pain I would have, after what the doc gave me wore off.

4 incisions, not 3.

By the way, my last attack 2 weeks ago, had me doubled over in pain for 7 hours.

So glad I had this done.

Jean

Honored Contributor

shopper----Yes I went thru this surgery after a whole month of agony and a 15 pound weight loss. Could not eat anything without horrible pain. Had outpatient surgery with 3 tiny incisions. Went home and took it easy for a couple weeks. Could eat normal after a few days. Didn't need heavy duty pain meds just motrin. Healed up beautifully and no issues with eating ANYTHING I want. This was in 2008.