Esteemed Contributor

Re: Gained 6lbs since March (corona lockdown)

I haven't put on any but I haven't  lost either despite buying a rowing machine and using it 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I use the Lose It app to track and I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I admit I do cheat some. I wish I could go for a walk but the lows are in the 90's and the highs are well over 100-115 so that's out until November or so. I miss my water aerobics. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Violann Ive read about your progress before but would love to hear how you did it. You said you haven’t changed anything ?

Hockynut I agree about food over exercise. I remember an instructor said you can do all the sit ups but if you don’t lose the fat it won’t show.

Bmorechick At 65 you still can do all that exercise!!! I’m 59 and a lot of my problem is I’m not able to cardio as intense or long.

I know I need to build muscle (total gym) muscle speeds metabolism.

I can’t give up my morning walk, it’s my spiritual time to release stress (1 hr use to go 2)

I will look into Loseit app. My friend lost 30 on Noom.
I’ve use fitness pal.

I just don’t want this 6 to turn into 10 and 20
I’ve lost 30 (now 24) and have 15 to go!
I don’t eat out or eat junk.

ETA. I’m thinking because I usually work and am active walking and moving during the day that now at home my metabolism has slowed. Plus being at home leads to more calories even if they are healthy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@springers I hear you. I swear the older I get, the easier it is to gain, and the harder it is to lose. Also I find it harder to build muscle. 😥

Staying home makes it challenging to avoid sitting and the extreme heat right now makes it tough to do yard work. 🤨

I've increased my workout in attempt to burn more calories 

and it's helping slowly. Very slowly 😜.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@springers Do something different. 

If you are walking an hour, add something else like yoga or an easy dance routine even if it's just bopping to the radio.  It shakes your body up.  Even a set of push ups (against the wall if you have to) or squats for 10 minutes or so will help

Also, clean up your diet a bit if you can.  Eliminating sugar, tough but doable, if you indulge will take 5 pounds off of you just in inflammation within weeks.  Anything to eat cleaner like getting rid of dairy or gluten or major carbs just for a week or so, also shakes things up and forces the body to adjust.  

I had the same thing happen because I slacked in what I ate when the markets got raided during the quarantine period.  Getting back to cleaner eating and adding in an extra fitness activity for a few weeks did the trick and then some.  

Valued Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

I haven't put on any but I haven't  lost either despite buying a rowing machine and using it 30 minutes a day 5 days a week. I use the Lose It app to track and I eat between 1000-1200 calories a day. I admit I do cheat some. I wish I could go for a walk but the lows are in the 90's and the highs are well over 100-115 so that's out until November or so. I miss my water aerobics. 

This summer heat is a bitch..taking out the dog etc..is awful from the heat and humidity!!!! He doesn't like it either..he has  a heavy coat! 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Laura
I agree about mixing up the exercise. I do yoga stretching YouTube (Nadia Narain). I recommend her; Very Good! I need to get on stationary bike or total gym. I’ve tried to eliminate carbs.
My eating
I eat Greek plain nonfat yogurt w blueberries (probably should watch portion better)
Salad w lot of veggies olive oil balsamic vin
Almonds / air popcorn /fruit for snack
Protein and salad maybe grill veg or sw potato
I don’t have desert but I drink coffee in am and afternoon and I drink about 48-60 water

I think I need to add new exercise and try to move more during day.

Eta please share your eating and exercise examples

Honored Contributor

@springers   There ain't nothing wrong with that!  I would say up your activity for a bit or add back the hour to your walk and you should be right back to it.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I know it’s cause I reduced my walk 

I walked more hills  that second hour 

my knees were getting tired 

I’m am such a creature of habit 

it’s so hard for me to cross train

Trusted Contributor

I have always have worked out at home but when the pandemic started I felt I was snacking too much & slacking off on my excercise. I joined the dig deeper 60 day challenge on FB. Finished the first 60 days, second challenge started on Mon. The workouts are intense but just what I needed. 

Esteemed Contributor

You are already winning by recognizing the problem.  

For lots of us the lack of access to classes or gym is very disruptive.  I struggle with that too.

Keep on it.