Honored Contributor

Re: Gained 6lbs since March (corona lockdown)

Ah those pandemic pounds....!!

I gained about 8 since t his started, but partly because my daily exercise was curtailed because of a lower back issue (jeeze louise it hurts...) but I'm slowly getting my movement back.  But what I did was to only eat half the portion I'm used to eating.  I've lost the 8lbs.... and by doing it this way wasn't very disruptive to me.  I didn't feel hungry.  I basically eat healthy, watch my carbs and sugars (Diabetic).  Now I'm slowly strengthening my back without reinjuring it... Woman Wink

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

@Q4u  Above all,  be safe. Do the things that you KNOW are good for you. Avoid stuff that you know is not in your best interests.

Are you able to access the input of a PT? 

Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@Q4u  Above all,  be safe. Do the things that you KNOW are good for you. Avoid stuff that you know is not in your best interests.

Are you able to access the input of a PT? 

Thank you, yes, actually have seen the doctor regarding this.  The hardest part has been to just let it rest.  I'd get up to do what I think I can and I'd make it worse.  I'm now doing well but am still goosey about hurting it again..... slow and easy's been my name... Woman Wink  

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Valued Contributor

In addition to all the good advice given here, let’s remember too that stress elevates cortisol levels which leads to elevated blood sugar levels, cravings and weight gain. These are very difficult times and I think we could all benefit from being kinder and gentler to ourselves and others.

Honored Contributor

@Q4u  wrote:                                                                                                                                                                        Thank you, yes, actually have seen the doctor regarding this.  The hardest part has been to just let it rest.  I'd get up to do what I think I can and I'd make it worse.  I'm now doing well but am still goosey about hurting it again..... slow and easy's been my name... Woman Wink  

@Q4u 

Your comments reminded me of something I said to many of my injured hockey players, one of my good friends more than others.

"Because the pain is gone, it does not mean you are healed".

This is common and even moreso to the more active among us. I have had 2 back surgeries in which 3 Lumbar Discs were removed. I certainly know all of what you are feeling.

I found there are 2 types of feelings. One is where you think you can do things, only to find out that you shouldn't, after the fact. Second when you get the ok from your doctor that you can return to your usual activities.

Never forget to keep the Ab muscles strong, and all the back side muscles loose and flexible. By that I mean the Spinal Erectors/Hamstrings/Calves and the Achilles Tendons.

*This paragraph should be above the 1 above.

*With that comes the apprehension, "what if"?  This part takes time along with easing into these activities. Over time I have found for me that completely dissipates.

Best to you dealing with this,

hckynut 🏒

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I havent gained at all and I have been making sure that I am eating mostly healthy even though I will buy something that Im craving. Plus keeping up with exercise, on youtube walking and other vids!

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Respected Contributor

@springers I have been eating good too!!!!!!!! If I have only gained 6 lbs I will consider myself lucky.  Fat and happy.....NOT

Respected Contributor

I was doing just fine in quarantine, maintaining my weight and keeping to my regular eating habits.  No exercise, since my gym is locked down, but I was doing ok weight wise. Then......restaurants reopened.  I'm up a few pounds more than I'm comfortable with.  We just eat out a lot and there is so much temptation leading me astray, and after a couple glasses of wine inhibitions go down and I start taking bites of things I shouldn't and then start feeling it's ok to just eat a plate of french fries.  Gotta get back on track!  I really wish I could just get back on the treadmill but my governor (Cuomo) seems like he is determined to keep gyms shut for the the rest of our lives on this earth.  Not good for many people's health, both physical and mental.  It's way too hot to exercise outside and I can't fit a treadmill inside my living space.  I can do weights and core but I really need the cardio and I hate doing exericse videos.  

Valued Contributor

I'm up 3 lbs and while it may not seem like a lot it makes a difference in my clothing.  I agree with john hockeynut about reducing calories which is something that I have been having a hard time doing since the pandemic..eating extra calories from boredom and anxiety.  

Honored Contributor

It's been just the opposite for me.  I've lost some weight.

Not a lot of pounds - but enough that I had to alter all my pants.  

Not eating out has to be the big factor - I eat healthier when I do my own cookng.