Regular Contributor

Two fingers on my right hand started swelling and felt stiff. Then my pointer finger developed a red rash.  Went to my DOC and had an xray.  It showed arthritis. THey suggested an antiinflamatory.   OK, but what's up with the rash.

I did my own investigating and have diagnosed myself with gout.

I cancelled the appointment I made with the derm MD.  I have a follow up next week with my Family Practice DOC.

Anybody have experience with this particular issue???

Jeeze - getting older is just great!  I know, it could be worse.

Esteemed Contributor

I know a few people who got it in the big toe. They said it was very painful. Is it painful in your hand?  Yes your right it is tough when your older and medical things happen. Get well soon. 

Honored Contributor

@hick   Psoriatic arthritis presents with a RASH

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

My husband suffered with gout for years - it affected his ankle and foot.  He couldn't even walk at times - had to use crutches. He couldn't stand even the weight of a sheet on his leg it was so painful.  He would have attacks a few times a year.  ALLOPURINAL -  daily prescription medication - helped tremendously.  He took it for many years.  Then weaned himself off it under drs orders.  No problems anymore.  He had redness and swelling - and the pain - but no rash.

Honored Contributor

Self diagnosis (when you're not a Dr.), especially with 'info' gleaned from the internet, is never a good idea.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@FranandZoe 

My Dad also had gout, which affected his ankle and foot, with huge swelling and it was very painful.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Valued Contributor

My mother is in her upper 80's and she has had gout. Sometime it is brought on by certain parts of one's diet. But it needs to be diagnosed with a doctor.

Honored Contributor

Re: GOUT ANYBODY?????

[ Edited ]

@hick wrote:

Two fingers on my right hand started swelling and felt stiff. Then my pointer finger developed a red rash.  Went to my DOC and had an xray.  It showed arthritis. THey suggested an antiinflamatory.   OK, but what's up with the rash.

I did my own investigating and have diagnosed myself with gout.

I cancelled the appointment I made with the derm MD.  I have a follow up next week with my Family Practice DOC.

Anybody have experience with this particular issue???

Jeeze - getting older is just great!  I know, it could be worse.

@hick @Are you taking a diuretic for high blood pressure? When taking a diuretic, as the water leaves the body, uric acid crystals can be left in the joints; which is what gout is. In a gout attack, the skin surrounding the affected joint is usually very reddened and highly tender and warm to the touch.

Honored Contributor

Re: GOUT ANYBODY?????

[ Edited ]

@Desertdi wrote:

@hick   Psoriatic arthritis presents with a RASH

@hick @usually, but not always. 

Respected Contributor

I had it in my little toe right after I graduated from college (100 years ago).  It was so painful that I couldn't walk on it.  I haven't had it since though.