Trusted Contributor

Re: For those taking synthroid

When you finally find a doctor who does listen to you & is willing to prescribe Armour, West-throid, Nature-throid, or Erfa, they don't take any insurance, you have to pay as the service is rendered & submit to your insurance on your own.

Honored Contributor

I have been taking synthroid/levothyroxine for about 18 yrs.! I once asked my Dr. about armour and she said I was not a candidate for that. Thyroid disease is hereditary, my mother, my sister, 2 aunts, a cousin, and of course, myself will have to take synthroid for the rest of our lives.

Honored Contributor

So, I'm confused (nothing new, if you knew me). Are some people saying Synthroid isn't good to take?

I just looked at the bottle it says Synthroid 25 MCG tablet, 1 tablet every day. Next week I will make an appt with the Endocrine Surgeon to talk about removing 1/2 of my thyroid.

The difference between my thyroid issues and my two daughters is one daughter has fluid filled masses on her thyroid. The one who just had surgery had solid masses.

My thyroid problem is that my Dr thinks (because it keeps coming back over and over suspicious) that it is cancer. He said he won't know definitely for sure until they operate, but his many, many years tells him it must come out (1/2 for now).

He is well known in my area. He's 64 years old and my other Dr goes to him. I totally trust him.

Respected Contributor

I have felt better when taking Levothyroxine than Armour or Synthroid. My MD cant seem to get my levels balanced to where I feel well and am at normal range for blood levels.

Honored Contributor

Annabelle, I'd believe my Dr. before I'd believe strangers on a shopping forum, if my Dr. prescribes a medication for me, and unless I have a side-affect, I will continue to take it!

I have NEVER had any problems with synthroid!

I had my thyroid removed by the Radioactive Iodine (rather than have surgery) and it removed too much of my thyroid, therefore this is why I take synthroid. It took my Dr. about a year to get my levels just so, and I have my levels checked once a year!

Contributor

I have been on Synthroid since 2010. It worked okay, but with some refills I have definitely noticed a change in effectiveness. Sometimes it's great, sometimes not so much. My gp felt Synthroid was always better due to this alleged consistency and didn't want me to switch to generic. I finally talked him into it and have been on the generic for one month. Jury still out. At first I felt better, now energy down again. Curses. I felt best when my TSH was at .8. When it was 3.5, I felt awful. Doc that still within the normal range and didn't want to increase due to the effect on bones. Last test was 1.8 on Synthroid...So levels fluctuate even on the magic brand name. My free t3 and t4 levels also normal. I will know better in two months if the generic is working OK. So much cheaper, Synthroid with my insurance is almost 4 times the cost of generic. Doc also bashed Armour, too inconsistent and I don't want to feel a pig had to die for my thyroid. Wish they'd find a cure.
Esteemed Contributor

In 2008 I had thyroid cancer and had a total thyroidectomy. My endocrinologist, who is the head of the department at a large university teaching hospital, requires that I take a name brand synthetic thyroid hormone, NOT Armour, which he and my surgeon told me not to take. I have been fine ever since. It's important to be careful about posting advice that affects readers' health. Anecdotal evidence is no substitute for scientific medicine.
Honored Contributor

Thanks Hooty. I go back to see the Dr in about 1 1/2 months. I was supposed to have had the operation by then (I guess I'd better get busy).

I'll ask him about it then. I have had a few instances where I followed Drs orders and it messed me up. I should have listened to what was better for me.

After all though, that's why we go to Drs right? I tell my daughters, "You listen to your body. You are inside your body. You know how you feel".

I do think we all need to be our own advocates. My daughter that just had the operation is an example of that.

The Dr she had told her "your terrible fog in your head, your dizziness, your extreme fatigue (and so on) is NOT an example of thyroid problems". Now this idiot Dr is an Endochronolists (wow is that misspelled) but he didn't know which end was up.

She started calling Drs and immediately found another Dr, interviewed his PA, went to see him and is now on her way to getting the right treatment by a Dr who also is familiar with Chronic Fatigue. All of this within maybe 4 or 5 days!

We must listen to our bodies too.

Do you guys feel like people sometimes think your medical problems are 'all in your head'? I feel sorry for people who can have empathy for others.

Esteemed Contributor

I am SORRY I ever posted about this!! Won't be doing it again!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

On 6/21/2014 emmiesmom said:

I am SORRY I ever posted about this!! Won't be doing it again!!

Honey--you're fine!

How ridiculous for anyone to say that a post may affect a reader's health. What????

I'm feeling a little bit off and reading on different sites, yes people, different sites, that some of the symptoms I have been experiences could mimic a worsening of my thyroid problems.

I guess I wonder why my thyroid has gone down hill. Hypo. What did I do wrong during my lifetime to end up with this? I'm paranoid of xrays. Guess what my doctor told me last week when I suggested we investigate my thyroid. An xray. Does anyone here think an xray is the best option? What tests have your wonderful doctors done?