Super Contributor

Re: For those taking synthroid

I had a total thyroidectomy twelve years ago. I have taken Synthroid most of that time. Sometimes other brands, sometimes with cytomel (T-3). My endocrinologist told me never to take a generic because of dosing instability.

My numbers have never been right, I am either hyper or hypo. I am up and down on the medication, having to have blood tests every 6 - 8 weeks. I am sick of it! Told my Dr. how tired I am of all the blood tests, she is letting me go until November without one. Finally!

My thyroid had overgrown backwards (instead of forwards) and grown down my sternum and into my trachea. Don't quite understand a Dr. suggesting removing half the thyroid when he suspects cancer?

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/21/2014 Lucky Charm said:
On 6/21/2014 emmiesmom said:

<em>I am SORRY I ever posted about this!! Won't be doing it again!!</em>

Honey--you're fine!

How ridiculous for anyone to say that a post may affect a reader's health. What????

I'm feeling a little bit off and reading on different sites, yes people, different sites, that some of the symptoms I have been experiences could mimic a worsening of my thyroid problems.

I guess I wonder why my thyroid has gone down hill. Hypo. What did I do wrong during my lifetime to end up with this? I'm paranoid of xrays. Guess what my doctor told me last week when I suggested we investigate my thyroid. An xray. Does anyone here think an xray is the best option? What tests have your wonderful doctors done?

Thanks Lucky Charm! Since he knows you're hypo, he may want to see if your thyroid is ok, with the Xray. My mom was hypo, and after a short time on meds, she was fine and never had a problem after that! I know that thyroid problems can be heriditary..I doubt its anything you've done! Just be sure your doctor listens to you, thats so important! Keep me posted, ok?? You're a sweetie!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

On 6/21/2014 birddrops said:

I had a total thyroidectomy twelve years ago. I have taken Synthroid most of that time. Sometimes other brands, sometimes with cytomel (T-3). My endocrinologist told me never to take a generic because of dosing instability.

My numbers have never been right, I am either hyper or hypo. I am up and down on the medication, having to have blood tests every 6 - 8 weeks. I am sick of it! Told my Dr. how tired I am of all the blood tests, she is letting me go until November without one. Finally!

My thyroid had overgrown backwards (instead of forwards) and grown down my sternum and into my trachea. Don't quite understand a Dr. suggesting removing half the thyroid when he suspects cancer?

I hope one of the posters has an answer for you! So sorry you're going through this!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Why should the OP regret posting? Goodness! Anything that causes a discussion (in my opinion) is a good thing.

What anyone does with any information is up to them. That's the way I see it. We each need to be responsible for ourselves.

A smart person informs themselves and makes the decision based on what is best for them. I am responsible for me.

Trusted Contributor

I wish I could try Armour, but my hospital only stocks Synthroid.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Super Contributor

On 6/21/2014 Lucky Charm said:

<em>I am SORRY I ever posted about this!! Won't be doing it again!!</em>

Honey--you're fine!

How ridiculous for anyone to say that a post may affect a reader's health. What????

I'm feeling a little bit off and reading on different sites, yes people, different sites, that some of the symptoms I have been experiences could mimic a worsening of my thyroid problems.

I guess I wonder why my thyroid has gone down hill. Hypo. What did I do wrong during my lifetime to end up with this? I'm paranoid of xrays. Guess what my doctor told me last week when I suggested we investigate my thyroid. An xray. Does anyone here think an xray is the best option? What tests have your wonderful doctors done?

Never had an xray while being diagnosed. I know I had some kind of radioactive tests and either a CT or an MRI. But this was twelve years ago. Are you seeing an endocrinologist?

Trusted Contributor

I think thyroid disorders are very complicated and difficult to treat properly. In my experience, many doctors have very limited knowledge and understanding of these problems and tend to stick with the same treatment whether it works or not. Many also rely too much on just the thyroid panel for diagnosis and treatment instead of getting the whole picture. I've been on various thyroid meds for 35 years now and it can be very frustrating.

It's always a victory for me when I remember why I entered a room.
Regular Contributor

On 6/21/2014 Hooty said:

I have been taking synthroid/levothyroxine for about 18 yrs.! I once asked my Dr. about armour and she said I was not a candidate for that. Thyroid disease is hereditary, my mother, my sister, 2 aunts, a cousin, and of course, myself will have to take synthroid for the rest of our lives.

I don't know what you mean by thyroid disease. I'm hypo and I'm the only one in my family who has thyroid issues.
Super Contributor

We all need to be our own advocate...it is our body and our health. I did not do well on T4 medication alone. I felt so sick and was needing both Levoxyl and Cytomel. I am probably one of those who do not convert the T4 to the active form, T3. Not all patients do well on the same thyroid medication, some do better on synthetics others desiccated. If you do well on what you are taking stay with it. If you aren't feeling your best see if another medication would make a difference. Sometimes a change in brands or going to the generic makes a difference. All the T 4 medicines have the same active ingredient, levothyroxine, but the difference is the fillers. That is why some are going to the brand Tirosint because it has no fillers or dyes. So, there is no one medication suited for all, it is not one size fits all! Most doctors, pharmacists advise not to switch brands as you will probably need to adjust your levels again or at the least be checked to see if you are staying in range. But nothing wrong with asking to try another medication. There is a lot of resistance to the use of anything other than T4 medication and this is not best for everyone. No one is telling anyone to take any one medication over another or to stop taking one that is working for you...and nothing wrong with learning more about the thyroid and how it is treated or much more importantly how it works. Learn as much as possible.
Regular Contributor

I am SORRY I ever posted about this!! Won't be doing it again!!

Nah. It's ok. But I think most people who have thyroid issues already know what options they have.