Respected Contributor

For those who have had foot surgery, about how long till you could fit into regular shoes?  I am supposed to have a bone spur removed from under my big toe in a few weeks.  Having second thoughts to postpone till sandle season so I don't have a problem with shoes/boots during the winter months....a friend went almost  2 months for swelling to subside.  (a different type of foot surgery).

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Foot surgery

[ Edited ]

It will likely depend on how much time that you elevate your foot after surgery  and how often you do foot  exercises ( flexing your foot ) to encourage circulation .

Some people sit in a recliner but their foot is still  hanging down  or they lay in bed but regular pillows  do not elevate the foot high enough. My husband had the surgery many yrs ago and it did not take him 2 months . He had good circulation from being an athlete and he kept his foot elevated along with doing  dorsal flexion  exercises .

Honored Contributor

Last year, I had hammertoe surgery on my second toe in early February.  I wanted to have the surgery in the winter months, so I'd be fully healed by gardening season.  

I was in the boot for five weeks.   Usually, six weeks is the norm.  However, my podiatrist said to go easy on the foot for another month.  I wore looser shoes or boots.  Ugg type boots were very comfy.  

The toe swelling lasted another month or so, and by April, I was back to normal.  

Trusted Contributor

I had a bone spur removed from the top of my big toe (cheilectomy). I was in a surgical boot for two weeks, and could wear shoes after that. It was not during sandal season. I couldn't wear all of my shoes right away. I mostly wore a pair of Skechers that has lots of toe room. I bought a couple new pairs of shoes that have a roomier toe box than most of my others.

Healing can be faster if the surgery is the minimally invasive type. My surgery was not minimally invasive because of another procedure the doctor did in the joint. Even after a few months I still have very mild pain and some stiffnesss, but it doesn't bother me or interfere with my normal activities. I continue to do toe stretching exercises. Everyone is different, but it can take up to a year to be back to 100% for some.

Regular Contributor
Caffeina, it sounds like we had similar surgery. I had a bone spur removed from the inside of my fourth toe. Doctor recommended straightening my fifth toe by removing the joint. That was over 15 months ago and I still have lots of pain and swelling and numbness on top and side. I’m in physical therapy for it now. Horrible experience!!
Trusted Contributor

@whatsmyname 

I didn't have the joint removed. The additional procedure done was to allow my big toe joint to regenerate cartilage. I think I should return to normal, or very close to it.

Sorry to hear you're having longer-term issues. Hopefully the PT helps to resolve them.

Regular Contributor
Thank you Caffeina. Hind sight is 20/20 for me in this case. I’m sure it will never be pain free. Much of it is nerve damage.
Contributor

Make sure you stay off your foot and follow surgeon's instructions for keeping it elevated, etc., as my mom felt good and didn't, and she paid dearly for it in her recovery time and pain down the road.  Even if you feel good, stay off your foot as instructed/as much as posible while you are healing.

Good luck and a speedy recovery!

Respected Contributor

@pookie44907 , I agree with your advice to stay off your feet as much as possible.  I had the boot to treat a broken metatarsal in my left foot.  It gave me mobility which I took advantage of but it really slowed down the healing process.  I eventually had to have a cast.  My orthopaedic dr hated the boot for just that reason.  Stay off your feet.  It really makes a difference.

Honored Contributor

My two friends who had bunion surgery had a much slower recovery than their surgeons predicted. It took about nearly a year for their swelling to complete resolve.  Almost a year of sneakers for both of them.